- '9781620972519 '
- 'So the club rose, the blood came down, and his bitterness and his anguish and his guilt were compounded' Drawing on B19552,Nejma,Nayyirah Waheed"
- 'Timely, portentous and powerful, Obioma's second novel confirms his remarkable talent' Independent 19844,One Day in December"
- "A ground-shaping book that defines the edge of so many vital contemporary debates. Hers is a voice si19774,Shook One: Anxiety Playing Tricks on Me"
- "If you've ever sent 20 bucks off to a relief organization, you owe it to yourself to read this book." Michae229,Durable Fire
- "Most people spend far more time in preparation for their vocation than they 18049,Think Like a Freak: Secrets of the Rogue Economist"
- "We were eight years in power" was the lament of Reconstruction-era black politicians as the American experiment in multiracia17961,One Long Night H/C"
- *** THE INCREDIBLE No. 1 New York Times BESTSELLER *** Make your bed to18225,Wide Sargasso Sea"
- 13 Reasons Why
- 16850,Humans Of New York"
- 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE FAMILIES,THE-US
- A brand-new translation of the world’s greatest satirist. With a 18125,Brave New World"
- A Conspiracy of Faith: A Department Q Novel
- A groundbreaking and wide-angled memoir by the acclaime19494,Everything Under"
- A history of the 1967 Six-Day War, by the BBC's distinguished former Middle East correspondent. Author: JEREMY BOWEN ISBN:9780743449694
- A modern classic in the African literary canon and voted in the Top Ten Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century, this novel brings to17629,Barking Up the Wrong Tree"
- A2153,48 Laws of Power"
- Afr15655,REPORTING DI15474
- African Affairs
- African Fiction
- African Literature
- All Things New
- An A-to-Z guide to living and aging well by #1 bestselling author, actress, and workout pioneer Jane Fonda In this un13768,Sixth Man
- AN IMPERFECT OFFERING
- Angela's Ashes
- Assault on Intelligence: American National Secu19317,What the Customer Wants You to Know: How Everybody Needs to Think Differently About Sales"
- Author:M L Jhingan ISBN:9788182811690
- Auto/ Biography
- Autobiography of Malcolm X, The
- Barack and Michelle
- Barbara de Angelis
- Benjamin R Barber
- Bill Clinton
- Busi17902,Finite and Infinite Ga17855
- Business & Finance
- Cal Newport
- Children can explore 1000 different vehicles in this colourful picture word book. Includes al18785,I'll Be Gone in the Dark"
- Children'18725,Petals of Blood"
- Children's Fiction
- Classic Literature
- Classic17674,I'm Fine... and Other Lies"
- Collapse: How Societies Choose To Fail Or Survive
- Consolations of Philosophy, The
- CORNER OFFICE, THE
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of 18977,I'll Give You the Sun"
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces19331,To All the Boys I Have Loved Before"
- Cutting Season,The
- Daisy's hot on the trail of a murdered writer! September 1926, and Daisy's in Derbyshire, visiting an old school friend who's currently15241,MANAGING HERITAGE
- David Baldacci
- Deadly Waters
- Diary Of A Wimpy Kid
- DICTATOR'S HANDBOOK
- Dissent and the Supreme Court
- Don’t wait for miracl18238,Drop the Ball"
- Dr Wayne W Dyer
- Effective Executive, The
- EMOTIONAL CHAOS TO CLARITY
- Enjoy Your Journey
- Exit West
- Fem18693,Winnie- the-Pooh:The Complete Co18456
- Feminism & Women's Affairs
- Feminism and Women Affairs
- Fire and Fury: Inside the Tr18302,Crack
- For 30 years, Pulitzer Prize-winning16019,PORTFOLIOS OF THE POOR"
- For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rain1950,Wretched Of The Earth
- Fragile Things
- Frank Furness is recognised as one of the world's top motivators, speakers and trainers, helping salespeople, 9327,50 MANAGEMENT IDEAS"
- From My Sister Lips
- From the bestselling author of The Black Swan, a bold book that challenges many of our long-held belief18205,Children of Blood and Bone"
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Gonjon Pin & Other Stories,The
- Good Time to be a Girl, A
- Hari Kunzru
- Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone
- he commands that the body of the rebel Polynices be left unburied and unmourned
- Health & Relationships
- Helen Oyeyemi
- Her mother destroyed her. The garden saved her. Poppy was six years old when she was rescued from her abusive mother and taken 18539,White Tears"
- Here are twelve compelling biographies of some of the most powerful ministers ever to ignite the fires of revival by dynamically demo12592,Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2014"
- Hillary Rodham Clinton’s inside look at the choices and challenges she has faced is “a subtle, finely calibrated work…with succinct and often shrewd appraisals of the complex15274,LINCHPIN,SETH GODIN"
- HOW TO STUDY LAW
- In 1971, President Nixon imposed national price controls and took the United States off the gold standard, an extreme measure inten13234,FUTURE MINDS"
- In Business Stripped Bare, Sir Richard Branson shares the inside track on his life in business and reveals the incredible truth abou19070,Taxing Africa: Coercion
- In May 1997, the world wa19037,Quantum Computing Since Democritus"
- In this candid and riveting memoir, for the first time ever, Nike founder and CEO Phil Knight shares the inside story of the company’s 19443,Bigger Deal: Work Your Way to a Life of Meaning"
- In this fan favorite from #1 New York Times bestselling author Debbie 18430,Collected Stories
- In this runaway #1 New York Times bestseller, former secret service officer Gary Byrne, who was posted d17960,Steve Jobs L/P"
- Inferior: How Sc19604,A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century"
- J K Rowling
- James Baldwin
- Jeremy Clarkson puts the pedal to the floor in Don't Stop Me Now, a collection of his Sunday Times motor391,From Third World to First World: The Singapore Story 1965-2000"
- Jesmyn Ward
- Jews and Their Future, The
- K. I. LAIBUTA
- Kennedy Odede
- Kenyan History
- Kyle Harper
- Language/Coffee Table Books
- Laura Doyle
- Leadership: James M. Burns
- Legal Practice
- Legal Practices
- Literary Ficti1918,Antigone,Soph19123,Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE"
- Literary Fiction
- Living A Life You Love: Embracing the adventure of bei19595,Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House
- Lunatic Express, The
- Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art
- Management Theory and Practice provides a clear and concise introduction to the 270,Africa's third liberation
- Marketing Automation
- MARTIN LINDSTROM
- Maya Angelou has fascinated, moved, and inspired countless readers with the first three volume8154,Capital: Volume I"
- National Book Critics Circle Award Winner (Nonfiction) PEN/Oakland Award Winner BCALA Nonfiction Award Winner Gustavus Meyers Award W18601,N-W,Zadie Smith"
- Never Let Me Go
- Nick Bostrom
- Nigel Hamilton's account of Bill Clinton's early life and career - Bill Clinton: An American Journey - d5225,Brain That Changes Itself
- No Fist Is Big Enough to Hide the Sky: The Libe18332,Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan"
- Norman Vincent Peale
- On Competition
- Parenting/ Health/ Relati13680,No Higher Honor13415
- Parenting/ Health/ Relationships
- People in the Trees, The
- Peter Godfrey-Smith
- PETER SKARZYNSKI, ROWAN GIBSON
- Popular Culture
- Popular Science/Technology
- Power & P18016,Lists to Love By F17969
- Power & Politics
- Power &16172,AUDACITY TO WIN
- Prosperity Paradox: How Innovation Can Lift Nations Out of Poverty
- Race & Class"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- RICHARD REED
- Right hook"
- Ron Stallworth
- Sacred Marriage
- Sacred Marriage doesn't just offer techniques to make a marriage ha18453,My Husband's Wife"
- Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 ¾ (The Originals
- Selected by the Modern Library as one of the 100 best novels of all time, Slaughterhouse-Five, a18036,World Without Mind"
- Self 18266,Segu,Maryse Conde"
- Self De18246,Captivate: The 18532
- Self De5808,When money destroys5372
- Self Developmen3541,Family
- Self Help/Mot18803,Pride and Pre18521
- Self Help/Motivation
- Significantly streamlined and updated, the second edition of Andrews' Contract Law now provide16998,Unfinished Revolution
- Spirituality/ Religious History
- Spirituality/Religious History
- Stephen Clarke
- STEPHEN HAWKING
- Steven Levingston
- Steven Pinker
- STRATEGIC PLANNING
- Suspense & T7942,EVERYTHING SHE EV8083
- Suspense & Thriller
- T.D Jakes
- The Dying Sahara: US Imperia18532,Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Late17028,HBR'S 10 MUST READS ON MANAGING Y'SELF
- The engaging sequel to Nicholas Drayson's much-loved A Guide to the Birds of East Africa sees the return of16016,DEFEATING MAU MAU
- The grandson of slaves, born into poverty in 1892 in the Deep South, A. G. Gaston died more than a century later with a fortune wort13249,Chasing the Devil"
- The period between the two World Wars were troubling years for colonial empire. Individuals and organizations began to call for major reforms and an end to white supre9224,BAD LUCK AND TROUBLE"
- The phenomenal follow-up to the bestselling Built to Last Imagine discovering what suc15267,I Am Malala"
- The story of three generations in twentieth-century China that blends 7797,Waiting for the Wild Beasts to Vote"
- There was a time when a US-set crime novel by a British writer (such as James Hadley Chase's No Orchids For Miss Blandish) could g8502,BREAKING DAWN"
- This Blinding Absence of Light
- Tiger Woods
- ULTIMATE GUIDE TO NETWORK MARKE9635,BUDDHA,DEEPAK CHOPRA"
- ULTIMATE GUIDE TO NETWORK MARKETIN9283,Funny You Should Say That"
- Understand Counselling will give you a clear understanding of the main counselling theories and help you develop vital counselling skills. It will introduce 9332,Encore Effect
- Unmerited Favour
- Ways to Disappear
- What's being widely regarded as "one of the most life changing books ever written" may be the simplest approach to achieving everything you've ever wanted, and fa18110,Love,Toni Morrison"
- What's the number one item on every company's agenda? Profitable Growth. Every Business Is a Growth Business is your on9558,SLEEP NO MORE"
- When it's not attached to your head, your very own hair takes on a disconcerting quality. Suddenly, it is strange. And yet hair finds its wa19221,Borderlines,Michela Wrong"
- Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?
- WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
- Winston Churchill
- Wish you kn18195,Boom!,Mark Haddon"
- Worl8125,Freedom Next Time"
- World Affairs
- Yom Kippur War, The
- Young Adult
Filter by price
View cart “40001 BEST BABY NAMES” has been added to your cart.
Showing 73–108 of 3745 results
Franklin Covey By Stephen R. Covey. This Highly-Anticipated Book Is One Of The Finest Gifts You Can Give. Stephen Covey Shows You How To Apply The Acclaimed 7 Habits To The Unique Circumstances Of Your Family. You’ll Learn To Establish A Proven And Successful Principle-Centered Framework To Build Strong Family Relationships And Develop A Common Language So Family Members Better Understand Each Other. Author: Stephen R. Covey ISBN:9780307440853
In THE 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE Stephen R. Covey presents a holistic, integrated, principle-centred approach for solving personal and professional problems. With penetrating insights and pointed anecdotes, Covey reveals a step-by-step pathway for living with fairness, integrity, honesty and human dignity – principles that give us the security to adapt to change, and the wisdom and power to take advantage of the opportunities that change creates.
Ground-breaking and universal, Stephen Covey’s THE 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE has been one of the most popular motivational books of all time. Now Stephen’s son, Sean, has transformed this bestselling message into a life-changing book for teenagers, parents, grandparents and any adult who influences young people. At a time when everything from planning what to wear to a party to dealing with an alcoholic friend can seem overwhelming and complex, THE 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE TEENAGERS will bring a special perspective and focus to the lives of young people everywhere. Sean Covey speaks directly to teenagers in a language they can really understand and relate to, providing a step-by-step guide to help them improve self-image, build friendships, resist peer pressure, achieve their goals, get along with their parents, and much more. Author: Stephen R Covey ISBN: 9780743484268
Business leaders know they need to engage their workforce more in strategy; they know several of their senior players do not model the culture change they want to see; they know parts of the business are not aligned but, up until now, there has been no cohesive way of managing that change. The 7 Secrets of Leadership Success offers a unique insight into the mindset and methodology of the military on leadership, strategy and management. For the first time, leading management consultant Deborah Tom and military chief Major General Richard Barrons reveal the secrets of modern military success. The 7 Secrets of Leadership Success answers questions such as: – Why is it that leaders are respected and followed in military and not in industry? – Why is it that strategy fails? – How should a business address poor morale and engagement? – How can a global firm become ‘one firm’? This unique management book will enable every leader to feel empowered, take command of their situation and lead their people and their business to success. Author:Deborah Tom, Richard Barrons ISBN:9780091906931
This is a book you will cherish for a lifetime, for within its pages Deepak Chopra offers a life-altering perspective on the attainment of success. Filled with timeless wisdom, the essence of his teachings is distilled into seven simple, yet powerful principles that can easily be applied to create success and abundance in all areas of your life. Over 3 million copies sold worldwide. Author: Deepak Chopra ISBN:9780593040836
Unlock the Fountain of Prosperity Inside You! “I truly believe Jim Rohn is an extraordinary human being whose philosophy can enhance the quality of life for anyone.” —Anthony Robbins “Few men are endowed with Jim Rohn’s ability to motivate and effect changes in other human beings.” —Tom Hopkins “Jim Rohn . . . is one of the most profound thinkers and mind expanding individuals I’ve ever had a chance to listen to.” — Les Brown “Jim Rohn is a master motivator—he has style, substance, charisma, relevance, charm, and what he says makes a difference . . . The world would be a better place if everyone heard my friend Jim Rohn.” —Mark Victor Hansen You don’t have to choose between wealth and happiness—they spring from the same fountain of abundance. With this book, you’ll discover the seven essential strategies you need for success: ·Unleash the Power of Goals ·Seek Knowledge ·Learn the Miracle of Personal Development ·Control Your Finances ·Master Time ·Surround Yourself with Winners ·Learn the Art of Living Well Author Jim Rohn’s philosophy has helped millions change their lives for the better. Find out what it can do for you! Author: Jim Rohn ISBN:9780761506164
In The Seven-Day Weekend, Semler explains how he transformed a small family business into a highly profitable manufacturing, services and high-tech powerhouse – 40 times larger – while watching his favorite movies or relaxing with his son in the middle of the business day. Praise for The Seven-Day Weekend’Are there real-life lessons to be learned? The answer is yes-Pragmatic, inspirational and intriguing advice’ The Times’Ricardo Semler is our kind of capitalist.’ Guardian’In this book, Ricardo Semler tells how Semco, Latin America’s fastest growing company, uses a revolutionary way of working to run a profit making company with a work force who love their jobs.’ The Sunday Times’The Seven-Day Weekend challenges conventional approaches to work. It sparks ideas that can be applied to one’s own business [and] will certainly encourage managers to look very carefully at their management practices.’ Rocco Forte, Management Today Praise for Ricardo Semler’s Maverick!’Semco takes workplace democracy to previously unimagined frontiers’ The Times’His egalitarian approach works like a dream’ Today Author: Ricardo Semler ISBN:9780099425236
75 PEOPLE WHO CHANGED THE WORLD is a wonderful, provocative collection of short biographies of reformers, scholars, martyrs and mystics ? of many faiths who shook up religious thought and practice in the twentieth century. The short profiles make interesting reading and, often, discovery and the quotations and bibliographies following each profile make this an even more valuable resource. Its an admiring and instructive survey of influential spiritual practitioners and pioneers. A celebration of the human spirit, ideal for both seekers and believers, the curious and the passionate, thinkers and doers, 75 People Who Changed The World is an authoritative guide to the most creative spiritual ideas and actions of the past century a challenge for us today. Author: Ira Rifkin ISBN:9788179925829
A terrible fire in a wealthy suburban home leaves a married couple dead and Detective Lindsay Boxer and her partner Rich Conklin searching for clues. And after California’s golden boy, Michael Campion has been missing for a month, there finally seems to be a lead in his case–a very devastating lead. As fire after fire consume couples in wealthy, comfortable homes, Lindsay and the Murder Club must race to find the arsonists responsible and get to the bottom of Michael Campion’s disappearance. But suddenly the fires are raging too close to home. Frightened for her life and torn between two men, Lindsay must find a way to solve the most daunting dilemmas she’s ever faced–at work and at home. Author: James Patterson ISBN:9780099514541
A new 21st century individualism is overtaking “corporation-as-king” capitalism, transforming the way we work and live. Today, real power rests in the hands of creative individuals like Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Oprah Winfrey, and Steven Spielberg, who are changing the world one great idea at a time. In THE 80/20 INDIVIDUAL, Richard Koch reveals the secret of their success: they discovered what they do better than anyone else and rode it for all its worth. In this inspiring sequel to his classic bestseller THE 80/20 PRINCIPLE, Koch shows how to maximize success in your career and life by using the proven principle that 80 percent of changes in the world result from the most powerful 20 percent of actions and ideas. He’ll show how to use your own powerful “20 percent spike” – your most creative ideas and unique skills – to measure the amount of value you bring to your employer, clients or customers. For most people, there is a huge disparity between their intrinsic value and the compensation they receive for their efforts. THE 80/20 INDIVIDUAL shows how to narrow that gap. Drawing from his own success as an entrepreneur, as well as from the stories of scores of companies and individuals who have flourished as a result of an 80/20 mind-set, Koch offers a step-by-step method to remodeling a career or existing business, or creating a new one – one that most benefits you. He provides valuable insights on finding 80/20 partners, hiring 80/20 employees, and running an 80/20 business. Author: Richard Koch ISBN:9780385509756
How anyone can be more effective with less effort by learning how to identify and leverage the 80/20 principle–the well-known, unpublicized secret that 80 percent of all our results in business and in life stem from a mere 20 percent of our efforts. The 80/20 principle is one of the great secrets of highly effective people and organizations. Did you know, for example, that 20 percent of customers account for 80 percent of revenues? That 20 percent of our time accounts for 80 percent of the work we accomplish? The 80/20 Principle shows how we can achieve much more with much less effort, time, and resources, simply by identifying and focusing our efforts on the 20 percent that really counts. Although the 80/20 principle has long influenced today’s business world, author Richard Koch reveals how the principle works and shows how we can use it in a systematic and practical way to vastly increase our effectiveness, and improve our careers and our companies. The unspoken corollary to the 80/20 principle is that little of what we spend our time on actually counts. But by concentrating on those things that do, we can unlock the enormous potential of the magic 20 percent, and transform our effectiveness in our jobs, our careers, our businesses, and our lives. Author: Richard Koch ISBN:9780385491747
From Stephen R. Covey comes a profound, compelling, and groundbreaking book of next-level thinking that gives a clear way to finally tap the limitless value-creation promise of the “Knowledge Worker Age.” In the more than twenty-five years since its publication, the classic The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People has become an international phenomenon with more than twenty-five million copies sold. Tens of millions of people in business, government, schools, and families, and, most importantly, as individuals, have dramatically improved their lives and organizations by applying the principles of Stephen R. Covey’s classic book. The world, however, is a vastly changed place. Being effective as individuals and organizations is no longer merely an option–survival in today’s world requires it. But in order to thrive, innovate, excel, and lead in what Covey calls the “New Knowledge Worker Age,” we must build on and move beyond effectiveness. The call of this new era in human history is for greatness; it’s for fulfillment, passionate execution, and significant contribution. Accessing the higher levels of human genius and motivation in today’s new reality requires a change in thinking: a new mindset, a new skill-set, a new tool-set–in short, a whole new habit. The crucial challenge of our world today is this: to find our voice and inspire others to find theirs. It is what Covey calls the 8th Habit. So many people feel frustrated, discouraged, unappreciated, and undervalued–with little or no sense of voice or unique contribution. The 8th Habit is the answer to the soul’s yearning for greatness, the organization’s imperative for significance and superior results, and humanity’s search for its “voice.” Covey’s new book will transform the way we think about ourselves, our purpose in life, our organizations, and about humankind. Just as The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People helped us focus on effectiveness, The 8th Habit shows us the way to greatness. Author: Stephen R. Covey ISBN:9780743287937
The bestselling 9th novel in the Women’s Murder Club series A PSYCHOPATH PREYING ON THE WEAK A young mother and her child are ruthlessly gunned down in a shopping centre car park. Detective Lindsay Boxer has only one shred of evidence: three mysterious letters scrawled on the windscreen in blood-red lipstick. A CAT WITH CLAWS The same night, the wife of a Hollywood star walks in on a notorious cat burglar, known as “Hello Kitty”, in the middle of a multi-million-dollar jewel theft. Seconds later, the safe is empty, and the woman is dead – but there’s more to this cat than meets the eye. A CITY ON THE BRINK As San Francisco descends into hysteria, Lindsay and the Women’s Murder Club – combative attorney Yuki, medical examiner Claire and crime reporter Cindy – try to piece together the case, but one of the killers forces Lindsay to put her own life on the line… BUT IS IT ENOUGH? Author: James Patterson ISBN:9780099549529
At thirty-nine, Deola Bello, a Nigerian expatriate in London, is dissatisfied with being single and working overseas. Deola works as a financial reviewer for an international charity. When her job takes her back to Nigeria in time for her father’s five-year memorial service, she finds herself turning her scrutiny inward. In Nigeria, Deola encounters changes in her family and in the urban landscape of her home, and new acquaintances who offer unexpected possibilities. Deola’s journey is as much about evading others’ expectations to get to the heart of her frustration as it is about exposing the differences between foreign images of Africa and the realities of contemporary Nigerian life Author: Sefi Atta ISBN:9780007536108
Thomas Sankara (1949–87) was one of the most important anti-imperialist leaders of twentieth-century Africa. His declaration that fundamental change would require “a certain amount of madness” was a driving force behind the Burkinabè Revolution that eventually led to his being elected president of Burkina Faso. This book examines Sankara’s political philosophies and legacies and their relevance today. Amber Murrey analyzes his synthesis of Pan-Africanism and humanist Marxist politics, as well as his approach to gender, development, ecology, and decolonization. She doesn’t shy away from detailing the limitations of the revolution he led, but nonetheless she finds potent sources of inspiration for today’s struggles in Sankara’s example. Author: Amber Murray ISBN:9780745337579
Intimidated by her father, the rector of Knype Hill, Dorothy performs her submissive roles of dutiful daughter and bullied housekeeper. Her thoughts are taken up with the costumes she is making for the church school play, by the hopelessness of preaching to the poor and by debts she cannot pay in 1930s Depression England. Suddenly her routine shatters and Dorothy finds herself down and out in London. She is wearing silk stockings, has money in her pocket and cannot remember her name. Orwell leads us through a landscape of unemployment, poverty and hunger, where Dorothy’s faith is challenged by a social reality that changes her life. Author: George Orwell ISBN:9780141184654
Told by the central character, Alex, this brilliant, hilarious, and disturbing novel creates an alarming futuristic vision of violence, high technology, and authoritarianism. Anthony Burgess’ 1963 classic stands alongside Orwell’s 1984 and Huxley’s Brave New World as a classic of twentieth century post-industrial alienation, often shocking us into a thoughtful exploration of the meaning of free will and the conflict between good and evil. Author: Anthony Burgess ISBN:9780141182605
Detective Carl Mørck and his colleagues Assad and Rose must use all of their resources to uncover the horrifying truth in this heart-pounding Nordic thriller from the #1 international bestselling author Jussi Adler-Olsen. Carl Mørck holds in his hands a bottle that contains old and decayed message, written in blood. It is a cry for help from two young brothers, tied and bound in a boathouse by the sea. Could it be real? Who are these boys, and why weren’t they reported missing? Could they possibly still be alive? Carl’s investigation will force him to cross paths with a woman stuck in a desperate marriage–her husband refuses to tell her where he goes, what he does, how long he will be away. For days on end she waits, and when he returns she must endure his wants, his moods, his threats. But enough is enough. She will find out the truth, no matter the cost to her husband–or to herself… Author: Jussi Adler-Olsen ISBN:9780142180815
A compulsively readable collection of all the nastiest things that have afflicted mankind Tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, bird flu, international terrorism – the world seems to get more dangerous by the day. Or does it? John Withington’s disturbing yet fascinating new book describes the worst things that have happened on Earth from the dawn of man to the present day. Part One chronicles all the major natural calamities – floods and earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes and typhoons, plague and famine. Part Two describes in compelling detail the greatest man-made disasters – war and invasion, air raids, massacres, riots and terrorism, fires and explosions, shipwrecks, and air and train crashes. John Withington takes the reader on an epic journey through the annals of the nastiest things to have afflicted mankind. Out of all this horror, he has somehow fashioned a compulsively readble and entertaining book. Author: John Withington ISBN:9780749909789
The fourteenth century was a time of fabled crusades and chivalry, glittering cathedrals and grand castles. It was also a time of ferocity and spiritual agony, a world of chaos and the plague. Here, Barbara Tuchman masterfully reveals the two contradictory images of the age, examining the great rhythms of history and the grain and texture of domestic life as it was lived: what childhood was like; what marriage meant; how money, taxes and war dominated the lives of serf, noble and clergy alike. Granting her subjects their loyalties, treacheries and guilty passions, Tuchman recreates the lives of proud cardinals, university scholars, grocers and clerks, saints and mystics, lawyers and mercenaries, and, above all, knights. The result is an astonishing reflection of medieval Europe, a historical tour de force. Author: Barbara Tuchman ISBN:9780241972977
BOOK FOUR OF THE RAJ QUARTET The British Raj in India is in its final days. But the fall of the Empire is both the end of one era and the beginning of another. For the Hindus and Muslims, the political reality signals inevitable post-war recriminations and future territorial wrangles. For Guy Perron, Field Sergeant and historian, these last days are a time to reflect on the legacy the British has left behind in India. And for the British families still residing in India, decisions about their future must be made and final goodbyes must be said, all against the backdrop of one of the most turbulent periods of social change the world has ever seen. Author:Paul Scott ISBN;9780099478836
A Farewell to Arms is the unforgettable story of an American ambulance driver on the Italian front and his passion for a beautiful English nurse. Set against the looming horrors of the battlefield—weary, demoralized men marching in the rain during the German attack on Caporetto; the profound struggle between loyalty and desertion—this gripping, semiautobiographical work captures the harsh realities of war and the pain of lovers caught in its inexorable sweep. Ernest Hemingway famously said that he rewrote the ending to A Farewell to Arms thirty-nine times to get the words right. Author: Ernest Hemingway ISBN:9781857151497
One of Hemingway’s finest novels, A FAREWELL TO ARMS was published in 1929 when the author was at the height of his power, It draws on his own experiences serving with the Italins in World War One when he was severely wounded in action and awarded the Croce de Guerra. This is a vivid portrait of men at war which also explores their deeper responses to the cruetly and heroism of Battle Author:Ernest Hemingway ISBN:9780099910107
A masterly story of myth, rebellion, love, friendship and betrayal from one of Africa’s great writers, Ngugi wa Thiong’o’s A Grain of Wheat includes an introduction by Abdulrazak Gurnah, author of By the Sea, in Penguin Modern Classics. It is 1963 and Kenya is on the verge of Uhuru – Independence Day. The mighty british government has been toppled, and in the lull between the fighting and the new world, colonized and colonizer alike reflect on what they have gained and lost. In the village of Thabai, the men and women who live there have been transformed irrevocably by the uprising. Kihika, legendary rebel leader, was fatally betrayed to the whiteman. Gikonyo’s marriage to the beautiful Mumbi was destroyed when he was imprisoned, while her life has been shattered in other ways. And Mugo, brave survivor of the camps and now a village hero, harbours a terrible secret. As events unfold, compromises are forced, friendships are betrayed and loves are tested. Kenyan novelist and playwright Ngugi wa Thiong’o is the author of Weep Not Child (1964), The River Between (1965), and Petals of Blood (1977). Ngugi was chair of the Department of Literature at the University of Nairobi from 1972 to 1977. He left Kenya in 1982 and taught at various universities in the United States before he became professor of comparative literature and performance studies at New York University in 1992. Author: Ngungi Wa Thiong’o ISBN:9789966460073
The engaging sequel to Nicholas Drayson’s much-loved A Guide to the Birds of East Africa sees the return of Mr Malik and the East African Ornithological Society. Mr Malik has been busy planning the Asadi Club’s annual safari. Yet a series of crimes puts the club’s very existence at risk. It is up to Mr Malik and Co. to solve a decades-old murder, recover the club mascot and identify, once and for all, the most dangerous beast in Africa. Not to mention his only daughter may – or may not – be getting married in a week. Will Mr Malik again prevail over Kenyan politics, a reluctant bride and buried secrets? Author: Nicholas Drayson ISBN:9780241969175
In January 2003 Asne Seierstad entered Baghdad on a ten-day visa. She was to stay for over three months, reporting on the war and its aftermath. A Hundred and One Days is her compelling account of a city under siege, and a fascinating insight into the life of a foreign correspondent. An award-winning writer, Asne Seierstad brilliantly details the frustrations and dangers journalists face trying to uncover the truth behind the all pervasive propaganda. She also offers a unique portrait of Baghdad and its people, trying to go about their daily business under the constant threat of attack. Her passionate and erudite book conveys both the drama and the tragedy of her one hundred and one days in a city at war. Author: Åsne Seierstad ISBN:9781844081400
Elijah Reynolds is the most dominant of lycans, a rare Alpha whose skill for the hunt is surpassed only by his primal sexuality. When the lycans revolt, Elijah becomes both enemy and coveted ally in the conflict between vampires and angels. Vashti is the second most powerful vampire in the world, a lethal beauty with a path of devastation in her wake. She approaches Elijah with a proposed alliance…and discovers his vow to avenge his closest friend with her death, even as his passion demands her surrender. Their enmity soon erodes beneath an all-consuming desire. But as war looms, each must decide where their loyalty lies – with their own kind or with the enemy lover they can no longer live without… Author:Sylvia Day ISBN:9781472200761
A Lesson Before Dying is set in a small Cajun community in the late 1940s. Jefferson, a young black man, is an unwitting party to a liquor store shoot out in which three men are killed; the only survivor, he is convicted of murder and sentenced to death. Grant Wiggins, who left his hometown for the university, has returned to the plantation school to teach. As he struggles with his decision whether to stay or escape to another state, his aunt and Jefferson’s godmother persuade him to visit Jefferson in his cell and impart his learning and his pride to Jefferson before his death. In the end, the two men forge a bond as they both come to understand the simple heroism of resisting and defying the expected. Ernest J. Gaines brings to this novel the same rich sense of place, the same deep understanding of the human psyche, and the same compassion for a people and their struggle that have informed his previous, highly praised works of fiction. Author: Ernest J Gaines ISBN:9781852427238
Are you ready to become the person God has called you to be? In A Life Beyond Amazing, bestselling author Dr. David Jeremiah uncovers God’s strategy for change and challenges you to make nine important decisions that will transform your heart, your life, and your world. This life-changing book explores the nine qualities of character that carry us forward. Three of these have to do with our relationship with ourselves, three deal with interactions with other people, and three of them focus on our relationship with God. Spiritual principles are true in any situation. But we must make a conscious decision to employ them in our daily lives. God has given us wisdom for these days. A Life Beyond Amazing answers the questions that keep us up at night and shows that the way forward is a reminder of who we are in Christ and why it matters. Author: David Jeremiah ISBN:9780718079901
The opening of a letter leads to a desperate chase across Europe in A Matter of Honour by Jeffrey Archer, one of the world’s bestselling novelists. Adam Scott listens to the reading of his father’s will, aware that the contents can only be meagre. The Colonel, after all, had nothing to leave – except a letter he had never opened himself, a letter that can only bring further disgrace to the family name. Against his mother’s advice, Adam opens the letter, and immediately realizes his life can never be the same again. The contents leave him with no choice but to follow a course his father would have described as a matter of honour. Author:Jeffrey Archer ISBN:9781447221821
A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER ‘Inspirational and essential’ Bret Easton Ellis, author of American Psycho ‘Poignant and tragic’ The Spectator ‘Easily the most remarkable non-fiction book about drugs and drug taking since Hunter S Thompson’s Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’ Observer James Frey wakes up on a plane, with no memory of the preceding two weeks. His face is cut and his body is covered with bruises. He has no wallet and no idea of his destination. He has abused alcohol and every drug he can lay his hands on for a decade – and he is aged only twenty-three. What happens next is one of the most powerful and extreme stories ever told. His family takes him to a rehabilitation centre. And James Frey starts his perilous journey back to the world of the drug and alcohol-free living. His lack of self-pity is unflinching and searing. A Million Little Pieces is a dazzling account of a life destroyed and a life reconstructed. It is also the introduction of a bold and talented literary voice. If you liked A Million Little Pieces make sure to preorder James Frey’s new book, Katerina. Author: James Frey ISBN:9780719561023
Had they found each other again after all these years, only to lose everything that matters most? As children, Jade Conner and Tanner Eastman were best friends—until scandal drove them apart. Then, one golden summer, they find each other again. Through endless days they share their hearts and souls and dreams of forever. Then, in a moment of weakness, they make a decision that will tear them apart for nearly a decade. In their own separate corners of the country, Jade and Tanner have become fighters for religious freedom. Now Jade’s unfaithful husband is determined to destroy her in a custody battle that will rock the nation and shake people’s understanding of faith and freedom. Could Jade lose her only child because of her faith? Only one man can help her in her darkest hour. And only one old woman knows the secret about that summer and the truth that can set them all free. Author: Karen Kingsbury ISBN:9781601428486
In the tradition of Behind the Beautiful Forevers, this is a masterful, humane work of literary journalism by New Yorker staff writer Alexis Okeowo – a vivid narrative of Africans who are courageously resisting their continent’s wave of fundamentalism. In A Moonless, Starless Sky Okeowo weaves together four narratives that form a powerful tapestry of modern Africa: a young couple, kidnap victims of Joseph Kony’s LRA; a Mauritanian waging a lonely campaign against modern-day slavery; a women’s basketball team flourishing amid war-torn Somalia; and a vigilante who takes up arms against the extremist group Boko Haram. This debut book by one of America’s most acclaimed young journalists illuminates the inner lives of ordinary people doing the extraordinary – lives that are too often hidden, underreported, or ignored by the rest of the world. Biographical Notes Alexis Okeowo is a staff writer for the New Yorker and a fellow at New America. Her work has appeared in the New Yorker, the New York Times Magazine, the Financial Times, Time, and Fortune, among many other publications. The daughter of immigrant parents, Okeowo grew up in Alabama and attended Princeton University. She was based in Lagos, Nigeria, from 2012 to 2015, and now lives in Brooklyn. Author: Alexis Okeowo ISBN:9781472153715
Showing 73–108 of 3745 results