- '9781620972519 '
- 'So the club rose, the blood came down, and his bitterness and his anguish and his guilt were compounded' Drawing on B19552,Nejma,Nayyirah Waheed"
- 'Timely, portentous and powerful, Obioma's second novel confirms his remarkable talent' Independent 19844,One Day in December"
- "A ground-shaping book that defines the edge of so many vital contemporary debates. Hers is a voice si19774,Shook One: Anxiety Playing Tricks on Me"
- "If you've ever sent 20 bucks off to a relief organization, you owe it to yourself to read this book." Michae229,Durable Fire
- "Most people spend far more time in preparation for their vocation than they 18049,Think Like a Freak: Secrets of the Rogue Economist"
- "We were eight years in power" was the lament of Reconstruction-era black politicians as the American experiment in multiracia17961,One Long Night H/C"
- *** THE INCREDIBLE No. 1 New York Times BESTSELLER *** Make your bed to18225,Wide Sargasso Sea"
- 13 Reasons Why
- 16850,Humans Of New York"
- 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE FAMILIES,THE-US
- A brand-new translation of the world’s greatest satirist. With a 18125,Brave New World"
- A Conspiracy of Faith: A Department Q Novel
- A groundbreaking and wide-angled memoir by the acclaime19494,Everything Under"
- A history of the 1967 Six-Day War, by the BBC's distinguished former Middle East correspondent. Author: JEREMY BOWEN ISBN:9780743449694
- A modern classic in the African literary canon and voted in the Top Ten Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century, this novel brings to17629,Barking Up the Wrong Tree"
- A2153,48 Laws of Power"
- Afr15655,REPORTING DI15474
- African Affairs
- African Fiction
- African Literature
- All Things New
- An A-to-Z guide to living and aging well by #1 bestselling author, actress, and workout pioneer Jane Fonda In this un13768,Sixth Man
- AN IMPERFECT OFFERING
- Angela's Ashes
- Assault on Intelligence: American National Secu19317,What the Customer Wants You to Know: How Everybody Needs to Think Differently About Sales"
- Author:M L Jhingan ISBN:9788182811690
- Auto/ Biography
- Autobiography of Malcolm X, The
- Barack and Michelle
- Barbara de Angelis
- Benjamin R Barber
- Bill Clinton
- Busi17902,Finite and Infinite Ga17855
- Business & Finance
- Cal Newport
- Children can explore 1000 different vehicles in this colourful picture word book. Includes al18785,I'll Be Gone in the Dark"
- Children'18725,Petals of Blood"
- Children's Fiction
- Classic Literature
- Classic17674,I'm Fine... and Other Lies"
- Collapse: How Societies Choose To Fail Or Survive
- Consolations of Philosophy, The
- CORNER OFFICE, THE
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of 18977,I'll Give You the Sun"
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces19331,To All the Boys I Have Loved Before"
- Cutting Season,The
- Daisy's hot on the trail of a murdered writer! September 1926, and Daisy's in Derbyshire, visiting an old school friend who's currently15241,MANAGING HERITAGE
- David Baldacci
- Deadly Waters
- Diary Of A Wimpy Kid
- DICTATOR'S HANDBOOK
- Dissent and the Supreme Court
- Don’t wait for miracl18238,Drop the Ball"
- Dr Wayne W Dyer
- Effective Executive, The
- EMOTIONAL CHAOS TO CLARITY
- Enjoy Your Journey
- Exit West
- Fem18693,Winnie- the-Pooh:The Complete Co18456
- Feminism & Women's Affairs
- Feminism and Women Affairs
- Fire and Fury: Inside the Tr18302,Crack
- For 30 years, Pulitzer Prize-winning16019,PORTFOLIOS OF THE POOR"
- For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rain1950,Wretched Of The Earth
- Fragile Things
- Frank Furness is recognised as one of the world's top motivators, speakers and trainers, helping salespeople, 9327,50 MANAGEMENT IDEAS"
- From My Sister Lips
- From the bestselling author of The Black Swan, a bold book that challenges many of our long-held belief18205,Children of Blood and Bone"
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Gonjon Pin & Other Stories,The
- Good Time to be a Girl, A
- Hari Kunzru
- Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone
- he commands that the body of the rebel Polynices be left unburied and unmourned
- Health & Relationships
- Helen Oyeyemi
- Her mother destroyed her. The garden saved her. Poppy was six years old when she was rescued from her abusive mother and taken 18539,White Tears"
- Here are twelve compelling biographies of some of the most powerful ministers ever to ignite the fires of revival by dynamically demo12592,Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2014"
- Hillary Rodham Clinton’s inside look at the choices and challenges she has faced is “a subtle, finely calibrated work…with succinct and often shrewd appraisals of the complex15274,LINCHPIN,SETH GODIN"
- HOW TO STUDY LAW
- In 1971, President Nixon imposed national price controls and took the United States off the gold standard, an extreme measure inten13234,FUTURE MINDS"
- In Business Stripped Bare, Sir Richard Branson shares the inside track on his life in business and reveals the incredible truth abou19070,Taxing Africa: Coercion
- In May 1997, the world wa19037,Quantum Computing Since Democritus"
- In this candid and riveting memoir, for the first time ever, Nike founder and CEO Phil Knight shares the inside story of the company’s 19443,Bigger Deal: Work Your Way to a Life of Meaning"
- In this fan favorite from #1 New York Times bestselling author Debbie 18430,Collected Stories
- In this runaway #1 New York Times bestseller, former secret service officer Gary Byrne, who was posted d17960,Steve Jobs L/P"
- Inferior: How Sc19604,A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century"
- J K Rowling
- James Baldwin
- Jeremy Clarkson puts the pedal to the floor in Don't Stop Me Now, a collection of his Sunday Times motor391,From Third World to First World: The Singapore Story 1965-2000"
- Jesmyn Ward
- Jews and Their Future, The
- K. I. LAIBUTA
- Kennedy Odede
- Kenyan History
- Kyle Harper
- Language/Coffee Table Books
- Laura Doyle
- Leadership: James M. Burns
- Legal Practice
- Legal Practices
- Literary Ficti1918,Antigone,Soph19123,Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE"
- Literary Fiction
- Living A Life You Love: Embracing the adventure of bei19595,Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House
- Lunatic Express, The
- Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art
- Management Theory and Practice provides a clear and concise introduction to the 270,Africa's third liberation
- Marketing Automation
- MARTIN LINDSTROM
- Maya Angelou has fascinated, moved, and inspired countless readers with the first three volume8154,Capital: Volume I"
- National Book Critics Circle Award Winner (Nonfiction) PEN/Oakland Award Winner BCALA Nonfiction Award Winner Gustavus Meyers Award W18601,N-W,Zadie Smith"
- Never Let Me Go
- Nick Bostrom
- Nigel Hamilton's account of Bill Clinton's early life and career - Bill Clinton: An American Journey - d5225,Brain That Changes Itself
- No Fist Is Big Enough to Hide the Sky: The Libe18332,Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan"
- Norman Vincent Peale
- On Competition
- Parenting/ Health/ Relati13680,No Higher Honor13415
- Parenting/ Health/ Relationships
- People in the Trees, The
- Peter Godfrey-Smith
- PETER SKARZYNSKI, ROWAN GIBSON
- Popular Culture
- Popular Science/Technology
- Power & P18016,Lists to Love By F17969
- Power & Politics
- Power &16172,AUDACITY TO WIN
- Prosperity Paradox: How Innovation Can Lift Nations Out of Poverty
- Race & Class"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- RICHARD REED
- Right hook"
- Ron Stallworth
- Sacred Marriage
- Sacred Marriage doesn't just offer techniques to make a marriage ha18453,My Husband's Wife"
- Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 ¾ (The Originals
- Selected by the Modern Library as one of the 100 best novels of all time, Slaughterhouse-Five, a18036,World Without Mind"
- Self 18266,Segu,Maryse Conde"
- Self De18246,Captivate: The 18532
- Self De5808,When money destroys5372
- Self Developmen3541,Family
- Self Help/Mot18803,Pride and Pre18521
- Self Help/Motivation
- Significantly streamlined and updated, the second edition of Andrews' Contract Law now provide16998,Unfinished Revolution
- Spirituality/ Religious History
- Spirituality/Religious History
- Stephen Clarke
- STEPHEN HAWKING
- Steven Levingston
- Steven Pinker
- STRATEGIC PLANNING
- Suspense & T7942,EVERYTHING SHE EV8083
- Suspense & Thriller
- T.D Jakes
- The Dying Sahara: US Imperia18532,Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Late17028,HBR'S 10 MUST READS ON MANAGING Y'SELF
- The engaging sequel to Nicholas Drayson's much-loved A Guide to the Birds of East Africa sees the return of16016,DEFEATING MAU MAU
- The grandson of slaves, born into poverty in 1892 in the Deep South, A. G. Gaston died more than a century later with a fortune wort13249,Chasing the Devil"
- The period between the two World Wars were troubling years for colonial empire. Individuals and organizations began to call for major reforms and an end to white supre9224,BAD LUCK AND TROUBLE"
- The phenomenal follow-up to the bestselling Built to Last Imagine discovering what suc15267,I Am Malala"
- The story of three generations in twentieth-century China that blends 7797,Waiting for the Wild Beasts to Vote"
- There was a time when a US-set crime novel by a British writer (such as James Hadley Chase's No Orchids For Miss Blandish) could g8502,BREAKING DAWN"
- This Blinding Absence of Light
- Tiger Woods
- ULTIMATE GUIDE TO NETWORK MARKE9635,BUDDHA,DEEPAK CHOPRA"
- ULTIMATE GUIDE TO NETWORK MARKETIN9283,Funny You Should Say That"
- Understand Counselling will give you a clear understanding of the main counselling theories and help you develop vital counselling skills. It will introduce 9332,Encore Effect
- Unmerited Favour
- Ways to Disappear
- What's being widely regarded as "one of the most life changing books ever written" may be the simplest approach to achieving everything you've ever wanted, and fa18110,Love,Toni Morrison"
- What's the number one item on every company's agenda? Profitable Growth. Every Business Is a Growth Business is your on9558,SLEEP NO MORE"
- When it's not attached to your head, your very own hair takes on a disconcerting quality. Suddenly, it is strange. And yet hair finds its wa19221,Borderlines,Michela Wrong"
- Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?
- WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
- Winston Churchill
- Wish you kn18195,Boom!,Mark Haddon"
- Worl8125,Freedom Next Time"
- World Affairs
- Yom Kippur War, The
- Young Adult
Filter by price
- You cannot add "21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader" to the cart because the product is out of stock.
Showing 109–144 of 3745 results
A searing novel about the obstacles facing women in Zimbabwe, by one of the country’s most notable authors Anxious about her prospects after leaving a stagnant job, Tambudzai finds herself living in a run-down youth hostel in downtown Harare. For reasons that include her grim financial prospects and her age, she moves to a widow’s boarding house and eventually finds work as a biology teacher. But at every turn in her attempt to make a life for herself, she is faced with a fresh humiliation, until the painful contrast between the future she imagined and her daily reality ultimately drives her to a breaking point. In This Mournable Body, Tsitsi Dangarembga returns to the protagonist of her acclaimed first novel, Nervous Conditions, to examine how the hope and potential of a young girl and a fledgling nation can sour over time and become a bitter and floundering struggle for survival. As a last resort, Tambudzai takes an ecotourism job that forces her to return to her parents’ impoverished homestead. It is this homecoming, in Dangarembga’s tense and psychologically charged novel, that culminates in an act of betrayal, revealing just how toxic the combination of colonialism and capitalism can be. Author:Tsitsi Dangarembga ISBN:9781555978129
This beautiful book offers you an opportunity to internalise and directly experience the great wisdom of the Tao Te Ching, a collection of 81 verses authored by Chinese prophet Lao-tzu 25 centuries ago. The words Tao Te Ching translate to ‘living and applying the Great Way’. The Tao is considered by many scholars to be the wisest book ever written, and it encourages you to change your life by literally changing the way you think. Within these pages, Dr Wayne W. Dyer has broken down the verses into bite-size pieces so that you can slowly absorb these powerful thoughts and imprint them onto your consciousness. Working with one concept at a time, you will come to know the truth behind the ancient Tao observation: When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. Author: Wayne Dyer ISBN:9781401921514
‘Nowhere could she discover the dens of iniquity about which she had dreamed…’ Sparkling, darkly humorous tales of high society, playboys, courtesans, peasants, sex and savagery in nineteenth-century France, from the father of the short story. A new series of twenty distinctive, unforgettable Penguin Classics in a beautiful new design and pocket-sized format, with coloured jackets echoing Penguin’s original covers. Author: Guy de Maupassant ISBN:9780241260845
When Adela Quested and her elderly companion Mrs Moore arrive in the Indian town of Chandrapore, they quickly feel trapped by its insular and prejudiced ‘Anglo-Indian’ community. Determined to escape the parochial English enclave and explore the ‘real India’, they seek the guidance of the charming and mercurial Dr Aziz, a cultivated Indian Muslim. But a mysterious incident occurs while they are exploring the Marabar caves with Aziz, and the well-respected doctor soon finds himself at the centre of a scandal that rouses violent passions among both the British and their Indian subjects. A masterly portrait of a society in the grip of imperialism, A Passage to India compellingly depicts the fate of individuals caught between the great political and cultural conflicts of the modern world. Author: E.M. Foster ISBN:9780141441160
Events in Rwanda in 1994 mark a landmark in the history of modern genocide. Up to one million people were killed in a planned public and political campaign. In the face of indisputable evidence, the Security Council of the United Nations failed to respond. In this classic of investigative journalism, Linda Melvern tells the compelling story of what happened. She holds governments to account, showing how individuals could have prevented what was happening and didn’t do so. The book also reveals the unrecognised heroism of those who stayed on during the genocide, volunteer peacekeepers and those who ran emergency medical care. Fifteen years on, this new edition examines the ongoing impact of the 1948 Genocide Convention and the shock waves Rwanda caused around the world. Based on fresh interviews with key players and newly-released documents, A People Betrayed is a shocking indictment of the way Rwanda is and was forgotten and how today it is remembered in the West. Author: Linda Melvern ISBN:9781856498319
A Place for Us catches an Indian Muslim family on the eve of the eldest daughter’s wedding. As Hadia’s marriage — one chosen of love, not tradition — gathers the family back together, her parents Rafiq and Layla must come to terms with the choices that their two daughters, and their estranged son Amar, have made. Weaving through time, we see the detail of family life, all the crucial and tiny moments, through the eyes of each family member. And as Hadia, Huda and Amar attempt to carve out a life for themselves, they must reconcile their present culture with their parent’s faith, tread a path between the old world and the new and learn how the smallest decisions can lead to the deepest betrayals. This is the story of one family, but all family life is here. It is a novel for our times: a deeply moving examination of love, identity and belonging. It announces Fatima Farheen Mirza as a major new literary talent. ‘To be taken hostage by Fatima Mirza’s heartrending and timely story is a gutting pleasure. It allows her reader to better understand what it means to reconcile one’s love of family and culture with a desire to find one’s own path, and one’s own faith. Ms Mirza painstakingly details the life of an Indian Muslim family in America and their children’s search to feel whole, fulfilled, and content. She captures your mind and heart with an urgency that defies you to stop reading. I guarantee you will be different when you close the book’ – Sarah Jessica Parker Author:Fatima Farheen Mirza ISBN:9781781090701
On 9th August 2001, twenty-two days after Jeffrey Archer was sentenced to four years in prison for perjury, he was transferred from HMP Belmarsh, a double-A Category high-security prison in south London, to HMP Wayland, a Category C establishment in Norfolk. He served sixty-seven days in Wayland and during that time, as this account testifies, encountered not only the daily degradations of a dangerously over-stretched prison service, but the spirit and courage of his fellow inmates… Prison Diary Volume II: Purgatory is an extraordinary work of non-fiction, where Archer reveals what life is like inside the walls of Britain’s prisons. Author:Jeffrey Archer ISBN:9780330418843
On Thursday 19 July 2001, after a perjury trial lasting seven weeks, Jeffrey Archer was sentenced to four years in jail. He was to spend the first twenty-two days and fourteen hours in HMP Belmarsh, a double A-Category high-security prison in South London, which houses some of Britain’s most violent criminals. Hell, the first volume in Archer’s The Prison Diaries, is the author’s daily record of the time he spent there. ‘The sun is shining through the bars of my window on what must be a glorious summer day. I’ve been incarcerated in a cell five paces by three for twelve and a half hours, and will not be let out again until midday; eighteen and a half hours of solitary confinement. There is a child of seventeen in the cell below me who has been charged with shoplifting – his first offence, not even convicted – and he is being locked up for eighteen and a half hours, unable to speak to anyone. This is Great Britain in the twenty-first century, not Turkey, not Nigeria, not Kosovo, but Britain.’ Author:Jeffrey Archer ISBN:9780330418591
Saturday 10th November 2001 6.38am It’s all an act. I am hopelessly unhappy, dejected and broken. I smile when I am at my lowest, I laugh when I see no humour, I help others when I need help myself. I am alone. If I were to show any sign, even for a moment, of what I’m going through, I would have to read the details in some tabloid the following day. Everything I do is only a phone call away from a friendly journalist with an open cheque book. I don’t know where I have found the strength to maintain this facade and never break down in anyone’s presence. The final volume of Jeffrey Archer’s prison diaries, A Prison Diary Volume III: Heaven, covers the period of his transfer from Wayland to his eventual release on parole in July 2003. It includes a shocking account of the traumatic time he spent in the notorious Lincoln jail and the events that led to his incarceration there – it also throws light on a system that is close to breaking point. Told with humour, compassion and honesty, it closes with a thought-provoking manifesto that should be applauded by the Establishment and prison population alike. Author:Jeffrey Archer ISBN:9780330418850
Sisters Vera and Nadezhda must put aside a lifetime of feuding to save their émigré engineer father from voluptuous gold digger Valentina. With her proclivity for green satin underwear and boil-in-the-bag cuisine, she will stop at nothing in her pursuit of Western wealth. But this sisters’ campaign to oust Valentina unearths family secrets, uncovers fifty years of Europe’s darkest history and sends them back to roots they’d much rather forget. Author: Marina Lewycka ISBN: 9780141025766
A pacy, compelling and penetrating account – from the great Norman Stone ‘The best short primer on the war in twenty years’ Andrew Roberts Norman Stone’s gripping book tells the narrative of the Second World War in as brief a compass as possible, making a sometimes familiar story utterly fresh and arresting. As with his highly acclaimed World War One: A Short History, there is a compelling sense of a terrible story unfolding, of a sceptical and humorous intelligence at work, and a wish to convey to an audience who may well have no memory of the conflict just how high the stakes were. Author:Norman Stone ISBN:9780141031569
Arriving in Istanbul as a boy, Mevlut Karata? is enthralled by both the old city that is disappearing and the new one that is fast being built. He becomes a street vendor, like his father, hoping to strike it rich, but luck never seems to be on Mevlut’s side. He spends three years writing love letters to a girl he has seen just once, only to elope by mistake with her sister. Although he grows to cherish his wife and the family they have together, Mevlut stumbles toward middle age as everyone around him seems to be reaping the benefits of a rapidly modernizing Turkey. Told through the eyes of a diverse cast of characters, in A Strangeness in My Mind Nobel-prize-winning author Orhan Pamuk paints a brilliant tableau of life among the newcomers who have changed the face of Istanbul over the past fifty years. Author: Orhan Pamuk ISBN:9780571275991
A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali is a moving, passionate love story set amid the turmoil and terror of Rwanda’s genocide. All manner of Kigali residents pass their time by the pool of the Mille-Collines hotel: aid workers, Rwandan bourgeoisie, expatriates, UN peacekeepers, prostitutes. Keeping a watchful eye is Bernard Valcourt, a jaded foreign journalist, but his closest attention is devoted to Gentille, a hotel waitress with the slender, elegant build of a Tutsi. As they slip into an intense, improbable affair, the delicately balanced world around them–already devastated by AIDS–erupts in a Hutu-led genocide against the Tutsi people. Valcourt’s efforts to spirit Gentille to safety end in their separation. It will be months before he learns of his lover’s shocking fate. Author:Gil Courtemanche ISBN:9781782118886
‘Liberty, equality, fraternity, or death; — the last, much the easiest to bestow, O Guillotine!’ After eighteen years as a political prisoner in the Bastille, the ageing Doctor Manette is finally released and reunited with his daughter in England. There the lives of two very different men, Charles Darnay, an exiled French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a disreputable but brilliant English lawyer, become enmeshed through their love for Lucie Manette. From the tranquil roads of London, they are drawn against their will to the vengeful, bloodstained streets of Paris at the height of the Reign of Terror, and they soon fall under the lethal shadow of La Guillotine. This edition uses the text as it appeared in its serial publication in 1859 to convey the full scope of Dickens’s vision, and includes the original illustrations by H. K. Browne (‘Phiz’). Richard Maxwell’s introduction discusses the intricate interweaving of epic drama with personal tragedy. Author: Charles Dickens ISBN:9780141439600
When you’re as big and rough as Jack Reacher – and you have a badly-set, freshly-busted nose, patched with silver duct tape – it isn’t easy to hitch a ride. But Reacher has some unfinished business in Virginia, so he doesn’t quit. And at last, he’s picked up by three strangers – two men and a woman. But within minutes it becomes clear they’re all lying about everything – and then they run into a police roadblock on the highway. There has been an incident, and the cops are looking for the bad guys … Will they get through because the three are innocent?Or because the three are now four? Is Reacher just a decoy? With his signature Swiss-watch plotting and heart-thumping suspense, A Wanted Man shows Lee Child at his sublimely skilful best. ‘He could take out Bond, Dirty Harry, Jason Bourne and Ethan Hunt with both hands tied behind his back,. And then sleep with their girlfriends two at a time before getting the last bus out of town’ Sun (les Author: Lee Child ISBN:9780553825534
From Booker Prize-winner Ben Okri: twelve of his most controversial non-fiction pieces form this collection on the theme of freedom. Ranging from the personal to the analytical, covering subjects such as art, politics, storytelling and creativity, A WAY OF BEING FREE confirms Okri’s place as one of the most inspiring of contemporary writers. ‘All I wanted to do was to remind myself at all times to just sing my song. To just sing it through all the difficulties and silences’ BEN OKRI. Author: Ben Okri ISBN:9781784082567
Dami Ajayi’s second volume of poems, A Woman’s Body is a Country, interrogates the ramifications of affection. A work of impressive artistry, these are poems of life turned inside out, where time cheats on writers, and the people and things at the brunt end of our oppressive pleasures come back to haunt us. Here is the poetry of the quotidian, a philosophic and profound interrogation of relationships, of words, of bodies and their burdens, of times and time. Author: Dami Ajayi ISBN:9789789628391
The phenomenal bestseller Think and Grow Rich established Napoleon Hill as an authority on motivation and success. These revised and updated motivational and inspirational passages-keys to wealth, power, happiness, and good health-were originally published in Hill’s magazine, Success Unlimited. Author: Napoleon Hill ISBN:9780452270541
In the classic The Abolition of Man, C.S. Lewis, the most important Christian writer of the 20th century, sets out to persuade his audience of the importance and relevance of universal values such as courage and honor in contemporary society. Both astonishing and prophetic, The Abolition of Man is one of the most debated of Lewis’s extraordinary works. National Review chose it as number seven on their “100 Best Nonfiction Books of the Twentieth Century.” Author: C.S. Lewis ISBN:9780060652944
Like no other American, Abraham Lincoln’s life is entwined with the history and culture of the nation. His rise from poverty to presidency has inspired others to believe in the promise of opportunity; his success in preserving the nation is one of our greatest triumphs; his death is our American tragedy. To commemmorate the 200th anniversary of Lincoln’s birth, the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History is publishing, for the first time, its unparalleled Lincoln collection. It contains many historical treasures, including: Lincoln’s top hat, his gold pocket watch from his days as a Springfield lawyer, the inkstand he used to draft the Emancipation Proclamation, his patent model for lifting boats, one of Mary Lincoln’s White House gowns and jewelry, and prison hoods and shackles worn by the Lincoln conspirators. Showcasing more than 125 objects and photographs, Abraham Lincoln: An Extraordinary Life tells a new and intimate story of the life and legacy of this remarkable American icon. Author: Harry R. Rubenstein ISBN:9781588342638
Set at the heart of political power in Washington DC, Absolute Power was the book which launched David Baldacci’s career as a worldwide bestseller of thrilling fiction. The movie, starring Clint Eastwood, was a major box office success across the world. In a heavily guarded mansion in the Virginian countryside, professional burglar and break-in artist, Luther Whitney, is trapped behind a one-way mirror. What he witnesses destroys his faith not only in justice, but all he holds dear. What follows is an unthinkable abuse of power and a criminal conspiracy, as a breathtaking cover-up is set in motion by those appointed to work for one of the most important people in the world – the President of the United States. Author:David Baldacci ISBN:9780330545143
An all-new edition of the tragicomic smash hit which stormed the New York Times bestseller charts, now featuring an introduction from Markus Zusak. In his first book for young adults, Sherman Alexie tells the story of Junior, a budding cartoonist who leaves his school on the Spokane Indian Reservation to attend an all-white high school. This heartbreaking, funny, and beautifully written tale, featuring poignant drawings that reflect the character’s art, is based on the author’s own experiences. It chronicles contemporary adolescence as seen through the eyes of one Native American boy. ‘Excellent in every way’ Neil Gaiman Author: Sherman Alexie ISBN:9781783442010
Like Salman Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children and Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude, Moses Isegawa’s Abyssinian Chronicles tells a riveting story of twentieth-century Africa that is passionate in vision and breathtaking in scope. At the center of this unforgettable tale is Mugezi, a young man who manages to make it through the hellish reign of Idi Amin and experiences firsthand the most crushing aspects of Ugandan society: he withstands his distant father’s oppression and his mother’s cruelty in the name of Catholic zeal, endures the ravages of war, rape, poverty, and AIDS, and yet he is able to keep a hopeful and even occasionally amusing outlook on life. Mugezi’s hard-won observations form a cri de coeur for a people shaped by untold losses. Author: Moses Isegawa ISBN:9780375705779
What does it take to know oneself? To fully realize one’s life dream? For some it may take a lifetime, and for others, the chance may never come. There are those who dream and have the courage to take the first steps past the threshold of familiarity. Their stories, like mine, are etched on the avenues we dare to traverse. The Cape to Cairo road is where I, a black female soul-searcher, faced my greatest trial in confronting my fear of losing my mother to cancer, trying to keep old love alive, and make my childhood dream come true. Author: Maskarm Haile ISBN:9781775175704
The struggle for land has been a key element of the conflict between Jews and Arabs in Palestine thoughout the past hundred years, and remains intense to this day. While international attention focuses on Israeli settlements that have encroached on to hitherto Arab land in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, which lie legally outside Israel‘s boundaries, there is another dimension to the land question, as this book makes clear. Nearly one-fifth of Israel‘s population is Palestinian. This book examines the extent and means by which Israeli land policy today restricts access to land for these citizens within the 1948 boundaries of the State of Israel. Its authors – one a Palestinian lawyer and Israeli citizen practising in Israel, the other a British international human rights lawyer who worked in Israel for many years – examine the system of land ownership, the acquisition and administration of public land, and the control of land use through planning and housing regulations. What emerges is the extent to which the law is being used to restrict access to land by Israeli Palestinians and the discrimination that this entails for those citizens who are not of Jewish origin. The book argues that domestic and international law, which should operate to protect Palestinian land rights, have failed to do so, and that Israeli land policies breach international legal standards, including human rights norms. Author:Hussein Abu Hussein ISBN:9781842771235
This is a fascinating account of an Ecuadorian physician working as a health coordinator in refugee camps among the Chewa and Yao people in two countries challenged by important political and historical transformations: Malawi and Mozambique. While working with the French organization Medecins Sans Frontieres, the author witnessed the horror of the long civil war in Mozambique, becoming one of the first health professionals to access a guerilla training camp for child soldiers. Stories of cruelty and sacrifice, international health and technical cooperation, traditional medicine, the daily struggle against cholera, malaria and AIDS, the refugee drama, and the social and political changes of the region, are vividly described throughout the book from the perspective of a Latin American professional. This is a book of interest for the general public, people in the health profession, and for students interested in community and international issues who wish to understand the evolving African reality. (less) Author: Benjamin Puertas Donoso ISBN:9780865436404
“Harvey offers surprising insights into the male mentality and gives women strategies for taming that unruly beast.” —Philadelphia Inquirer “Women should listen to Steve Harvey when it comes to what a good man is about. Steve Harvey dispenses a lot of fabulous information about men.” —Aretha Franklin The #1 New York Times bestseller from the new guru of relationship advice, Steve Harvey’s Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man is an invaluable self-help book that can empower women everywhere to take control of their relationships. The host of a top-rated radio show listened to by millions daily—and of cable TV’s The Steve Harvey Project—Harvey knows what men really think about love, intimacy, and commitment. In Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man, the author, media personality, and stand-up comedian gets serious, sharing his wealth of knowledge, insight, and no-nonsense advice for every good woman who wants to find a good man or make her current love last. Author: Steve Harvey ISBN:9780062359971
When Steve Harvey was thirtysomething, he was living in his car. It was a sacrifice he was willing to make to give it his best shot at becoming a comedian. After several months of this lifestyle-washing in public bathrooms, eating fast food-he had considered giving up. Before calling his mother to ask if he could stay with her, he checked his voicemail. The Apollo Theatre wanted him to perform! Great opportunity, but Steve did not have enough money for gas to get from Tennessee to New York. He prayed about it, as he was too proud to ask for money. The following day he had a message from a club in Florida. The audience loved him so much they asked Steve back for a second night. The gig provided him enough money to fly to New York. Although he had no place to stay, walking around all night with a bag that held everything that he owned, it did not get him down. In his new book, Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success, Steve explains this as a “Pushback, Pushforward” moment. He believes we all have these kinds of situations in life when we have to make a conscious decision to move forward with our dream or walk away. He also believes that anyone aspiring for a better life should be prepared for accidents. This means that one should constantly work on developing their gift, the gift that God has given each of us, so that when opportunities arise we will be ready. Steve addresses discipline-sleeping a maximum of five hours a night. Anyone who sleeps more is not serious about getting the rewards life has to offer. He also discusses concepts of work versus effort and rich versus success. He focuses on taking the lid off the jar. In other words, remove messages from yourself and others that will limit dreams. Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success is a book about success that is rich with anecdotes from Steve’s life—from sleeping in his car to becoming the $40 million dollar man! This invaluable guide is written for everyone, whether you are just beginning your career or are well situated in the c-suite. Author: Steve Harvey ISBN:9780062220325
Act Like A Success, Think Like A Success The highly anticipated follow-up to Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man and Straight Talk, No Chaser, about what it takes to be successful—from the #1 New York Times bestselling author, Steve Harvey. When Steve Harvey was thirty something, he was living in his car. It was a sacrifice he was willing to make to give it his best shot at becoming a comedian. After several months of this lifestyle-washing in public bathrooms, eating fast food-he had considered giving up. Before calling his mother to ask if he could stay with her, he checked his voicemail. The Apollo Theatre wanted him to perform! Great opportunity, but Steve did not have enough money for gas to get from Tennessee to New York. He prayed about it, as he was too proud to ask for money. The following day he had a message from a club in Florida. The audience loved him so much they asked Steve back for a second night. The gig provided him enough money to fly to New York. Although he had no place to stay, walking around all night with a bag that held everything that he owned, it did not get him down. Steve Harvey’s new book, Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success, is a helpful guide for evaluating life goals and determining the means to achieve them. Written with his signature humour and warmth, Steve shares his principles of success divided into three parts. The first part deals with where you are right now and being real about your circumstances. The second part focuses on your gifts, identifying and making sure you can apply those gifts in your daily life. The third part addresses how to enhance your gift, providing tools for accentuating and growing your personal skill set. Act like a Success, Think Like a Success, filled with Steve’s invaluable advice and encouragement, is an inspirational book for anyone who wants to take charge of their own success in life. Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success is a book about success that is rich with anecdotes from Steve’s life from sleeping in his car to becoming the 40 million dollar man! This invaluable guide is written for everyone, whether you are just beginning your career or are well situated in the c-suite. Author: Steve Harvey ISBN: 9780062351234
Philip Caputo’s tragic and epically ambitious new novel is set in Sudan, where war is a permanent condition. Into this desolate theater come aid workers, missionaries, and mercenaries of conscience whose courage and idealism sometimes coexist with treacherous moral blindness. There’s the entrepreneurial American pilot who goes from flying food and medicine to smuggling arms, the Kenyan aid worker who can’t help seeing the tawdry underside of his enterprise, and the evangelical Christian who comes to Sudan to redeem slaves and falls in love with a charismatic rebel commander. As their fates intersect and our understanding of their characters deepens, it becomes apparent that Acts of Faith is one of those rare novels that combine high moral seriousness with irresistible narrative wizardry. Author: Philip Caputo ISBN:9780375725975
By ancient definition, the adamant was known as both a diamond and a mythical stone of indestructible wonder. In more modern terminology, it describes a posture of unshakeable resolve and determination. If there was ever a time for us to be adamant about love and truth it is now. God is Love. God is Truth. Both love and truth are timeless, transcending our current trends and opinions. Sometimes the most loving thing we will ever do is to speak the truth, but speaking truth begins with living it. Using the mediums of Scripture and story, New York Times bestselling author Lisa Bevere takes readers on a journey into the Mountain of God, to the one place they can learn not only to abide in God’s unshakeable truth and love, but become adamant–people who are unmovable, determined, and steadfast. With conviction and passion, Lisa unpacks the concept of the adamant for readers, linking together the grand story of Scripture and God’s purpose in their lives. Readers will see that God’s plan is revealed as we dwell in him, it is there that we are forged and shaped. As we abide in Christ our Cornerstone we are shaped into the image of the adamant. Author: Lisa Bevere ISBN:9780800727253
The book Adultery portrays the story of an independent woman Linda, in her 30s, who has an almost perfect life; a content and stable marriage, a caring husband, sweet little kids and a rewarding journalism career. Through the regular everyday life, she starts to question the dullness and boredom of her passing days. She tends to be dissatisfied with her life, until she meets her high-school boyfriend, Jacob, who is a successful politician now. With him, she revives the zeal and craze that were previously missing in her life. They get involved into an affair which she knows can lead her to difficult circumstance, yet, she finds the affair to be really exciting. With this transformation, she is standing at a life-altering turn of her life. Author: Paolo Coelho ISBN: 9780099592228
The thought-provoking new novel from the international bestselling author whose words change lives. Linda knows she’s lucky. Yet every morning when she opens her eyes to a so-called new day, she feels like closing them again. Her friends recommend medication. But Linda wants to feel more, not less. And so she embarks on an adventure as unexpected as it is daring, and which reawakens a side of her that she – respectable wife, loving mother, ambitious journalist – thought had disappeared. Even she can’t predict what will happen next… Author: Paulo Coelho ISBN:9781784750831
Comedian Gabbie Hanna brings levity to the twists and turns of modern adulthood in this exhilarating debut collection of illustrated poetry. In poems ranging from the singsong rhythms of children’s verses to a sophisticated confessional style, Gabbie explores what it means to feel like a kid and an adult all at once, revealing her own longings, obsessions, and insecurities along the way. Adultolescence announces the arrival of a brilliant new voice with a magical ability to connect through alienation, cut to the profound with internet slang, and detonate wickedly funny jokes between moments of existential dread. You’ll turn to the last page because you get her, and you’ll return to the first because she gets you. Author: Gabbie Hanna ISBN:9781471169458
There is a competitive advantage out there, arguably more powerful than any other. Is it superior strategy? Faster innovation? Smarter employees? No, New York Times best-selling author, Patrick Lencioni, argues that the seminal difference between successful companies and mediocre ones has little to do with what they know and how smart they are and more to do with how healthy they are. In this book, Lencioni brings together his vast experience and many of the themes cultivated in his other best-selling books and delivers a first: a cohesive and comprehensive exploration of the unique advantage organizational health provides. Simply put, an organization is healthy when it is whole, consistent and complete, when its management, operations and culture are unified. Healthy organizations outperform their counterparts, are free of politics and confusion and provide an environment where star performers never want to leave. Lencioni’s first non-fiction book provides leaders with aground breaking, approachable model for achieving organizational health–complete with stories, tips and anecdotes from his experiences consulting to some of the nation’s leading organizations. In this age of informational ubiquity and nano-second change, it is no longer enough to build a competitive advantage based on intelligence alone. The Advantage provides a foundational construct for conducting business in a new way–one that maximizes human potential and aligns the organization around a common set of principles. Author: Patrick Lencioni ISBN:9780470941522
Showing 109–144 of 3745 results