- '9781620972519 '
- 'So the club rose, the blood came down, and his bitterness and his anguish and his guilt were compounded' Drawing on B19552,Nejma,Nayyirah Waheed"
- 'Timely, portentous and powerful, Obioma's second novel confirms his remarkable talent' Independent 19844,One Day in December"
- "A ground-shaping book that defines the edge of so many vital contemporary debates. Hers is a voice si19774,Shook One: Anxiety Playing Tricks on Me"
- "If you've ever sent 20 bucks off to a relief organization, you owe it to yourself to read this book." Michae229,Durable Fire
- "Most people spend far more time in preparation for their vocation than they 18049,Think Like a Freak: Secrets of the Rogue Economist"
- "We were eight years in power" was the lament of Reconstruction-era black politicians as the American experiment in multiracia17961,One Long Night H/C"
- *** THE INCREDIBLE No. 1 New York Times BESTSELLER *** Make your bed to18225,Wide Sargasso Sea"
- 13 Reasons Why
- 16850,Humans Of New York"
- 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE FAMILIES,THE-US
- A brand-new translation of the world’s greatest satirist. With a 18125,Brave New World"
- A Conspiracy of Faith: A Department Q Novel
- A groundbreaking and wide-angled memoir by the acclaime19494,Everything Under"
- A history of the 1967 Six-Day War, by the BBC's distinguished former Middle East correspondent. Author: JEREMY BOWEN ISBN:9780743449694
- A modern classic in the African literary canon and voted in the Top Ten Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century, this novel brings to17629,Barking Up the Wrong Tree"
- A2153,48 Laws of Power"
- Afr15655,REPORTING DI15474
- African Affairs
- African Fiction
- African Literature
- All Things New
- An A-to-Z guide to living and aging well by #1 bestselling author, actress, and workout pioneer Jane Fonda In this un13768,Sixth Man
- AN IMPERFECT OFFERING
- Angela's Ashes
- Assault on Intelligence: American National Secu19317,What the Customer Wants You to Know: How Everybody Needs to Think Differently About Sales"
- Author:M L Jhingan ISBN:9788182811690
- Auto/ Biography
- Autobiography of Malcolm X, The
- Barack and Michelle
- Barbara de Angelis
- Benjamin R Barber
- Bill Clinton
- Busi17902,Finite and Infinite Ga17855
- Business & Finance
- Cal Newport
- Children can explore 1000 different vehicles in this colourful picture word book. Includes al18785,I'll Be Gone in the Dark"
- Children'18725,Petals of Blood"
- Children's Fiction
- Classic Literature
- Classic17674,I'm Fine... and Other Lies"
- Collapse: How Societies Choose To Fail Or Survive
- Consolations of Philosophy, The
- CORNER OFFICE, THE
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of 18977,I'll Give You the Sun"
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces19331,To All the Boys I Have Loved Before"
- Cutting Season,The
- Daisy's hot on the trail of a murdered writer! September 1926, and Daisy's in Derbyshire, visiting an old school friend who's currently15241,MANAGING HERITAGE
- David Baldacci
- Deadly Waters
- Diary Of A Wimpy Kid
- DICTATOR'S HANDBOOK
- Dissent and the Supreme Court
- Don’t wait for miracl18238,Drop the Ball"
- Dr Wayne W Dyer
- Effective Executive, The
- EMOTIONAL CHAOS TO CLARITY
- Enjoy Your Journey
- Exit West
- Fem18693,Winnie- the-Pooh:The Complete Co18456
- Feminism & Women's Affairs
- Feminism and Women Affairs
- Fire and Fury: Inside the Tr18302,Crack
- For 30 years, Pulitzer Prize-winning16019,PORTFOLIOS OF THE POOR"
- For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rain1950,Wretched Of The Earth
- Fragile Things
- Frank Furness is recognised as one of the world's top motivators, speakers and trainers, helping salespeople, 9327,50 MANAGEMENT IDEAS"
- From My Sister Lips
- From the bestselling author of The Black Swan, a bold book that challenges many of our long-held belief18205,Children of Blood and Bone"
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Gonjon Pin & Other Stories,The
- Good Time to be a Girl, A
- Hari Kunzru
- Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone
- he commands that the body of the rebel Polynices be left unburied and unmourned
- Health & Relationships
- Helen Oyeyemi
- Her mother destroyed her. The garden saved her. Poppy was six years old when she was rescued from her abusive mother and taken 18539,White Tears"
- Here are twelve compelling biographies of some of the most powerful ministers ever to ignite the fires of revival by dynamically demo12592,Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2014"
- Hillary Rodham Clinton’s inside look at the choices and challenges she has faced is “a subtle, finely calibrated work…with succinct and often shrewd appraisals of the complex15274,LINCHPIN,SETH GODIN"
- HOW TO STUDY LAW
- In 1971, President Nixon imposed national price controls and took the United States off the gold standard, an extreme measure inten13234,FUTURE MINDS"
- In Business Stripped Bare, Sir Richard Branson shares the inside track on his life in business and reveals the incredible truth abou19070,Taxing Africa: Coercion
- In May 1997, the world wa19037,Quantum Computing Since Democritus"
- In this candid and riveting memoir, for the first time ever, Nike founder and CEO Phil Knight shares the inside story of the company’s 19443,Bigger Deal: Work Your Way to a Life of Meaning"
- In this fan favorite from #1 New York Times bestselling author Debbie 18430,Collected Stories
- In this runaway #1 New York Times bestseller, former secret service officer Gary Byrne, who was posted d17960,Steve Jobs L/P"
- Inferior: How Sc19604,A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century"
- J K Rowling
- James Baldwin
- Jeremy Clarkson puts the pedal to the floor in Don't Stop Me Now, a collection of his Sunday Times motor391,From Third World to First World: The Singapore Story 1965-2000"
- Jesmyn Ward
- Jews and Their Future, The
- K. I. LAIBUTA
- Kennedy Odede
- Kenyan History
- Kyle Harper
- Language/Coffee Table Books
- Laura Doyle
- Leadership: James M. Burns
- Legal Practice
- Legal Practices
- Literary Ficti1918,Antigone,Soph19123,Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE"
- Literary Fiction
- Living A Life You Love: Embracing the adventure of bei19595,Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House
- Lunatic Express, The
- Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art
- Management Theory and Practice provides a clear and concise introduction to the 270,Africa's third liberation
- Marketing Automation
- MARTIN LINDSTROM
- Maya Angelou has fascinated, moved, and inspired countless readers with the first three volume8154,Capital: Volume I"
- National Book Critics Circle Award Winner (Nonfiction) PEN/Oakland Award Winner BCALA Nonfiction Award Winner Gustavus Meyers Award W18601,N-W,Zadie Smith"
- Never Let Me Go
- Nick Bostrom
- Nigel Hamilton's account of Bill Clinton's early life and career - Bill Clinton: An American Journey - d5225,Brain That Changes Itself
- No Fist Is Big Enough to Hide the Sky: The Libe18332,Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan"
- Norman Vincent Peale
- On Competition
- Parenting/ Health/ Relati13680,No Higher Honor13415
- Parenting/ Health/ Relationships
- People in the Trees, The
- Peter Godfrey-Smith
- PETER SKARZYNSKI, ROWAN GIBSON
- Popular Culture
- Popular Science/Technology
- Power & P18016,Lists to Love By F17969
- Power & Politics
- Power &16172,AUDACITY TO WIN
- Prosperity Paradox: How Innovation Can Lift Nations Out of Poverty
- Race & Class"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- RICHARD REED
- Right hook"
- Ron Stallworth
- Sacred Marriage
- Sacred Marriage doesn't just offer techniques to make a marriage ha18453,My Husband's Wife"
- Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 ¾ (The Originals
- Selected by the Modern Library as one of the 100 best novels of all time, Slaughterhouse-Five, a18036,World Without Mind"
- Self 18266,Segu,Maryse Conde"
- Self De18246,Captivate: The 18532
- Self De5808,When money destroys5372
- Self Developmen3541,Family
- Self Help/Mot18803,Pride and Pre18521
- Self Help/Motivation
- Significantly streamlined and updated, the second edition of Andrews' Contract Law now provide16998,Unfinished Revolution
- Spirituality/ Religious History
- Spirituality/Religious History
- Stephen Clarke
- STEPHEN HAWKING
- Steven Levingston
- Steven Pinker
- STRATEGIC PLANNING
- Suspense & T7942,EVERYTHING SHE EV8083
- Suspense & Thriller
- T.D Jakes
- The Dying Sahara: US Imperia18532,Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Late17028,HBR'S 10 MUST READS ON MANAGING Y'SELF
- The engaging sequel to Nicholas Drayson's much-loved A Guide to the Birds of East Africa sees the return of16016,DEFEATING MAU MAU
- The grandson of slaves, born into poverty in 1892 in the Deep South, A. G. Gaston died more than a century later with a fortune wort13249,Chasing the Devil"
- The period between the two World Wars were troubling years for colonial empire. Individuals and organizations began to call for major reforms and an end to white supre9224,BAD LUCK AND TROUBLE"
- The phenomenal follow-up to the bestselling Built to Last Imagine discovering what suc15267,I Am Malala"
- The story of three generations in twentieth-century China that blends 7797,Waiting for the Wild Beasts to Vote"
- There was a time when a US-set crime novel by a British writer (such as James Hadley Chase's No Orchids For Miss Blandish) could g8502,BREAKING DAWN"
- This Blinding Absence of Light
- Tiger Woods
- ULTIMATE GUIDE TO NETWORK MARKE9635,BUDDHA,DEEPAK CHOPRA"
- ULTIMATE GUIDE TO NETWORK MARKETIN9283,Funny You Should Say That"
- Understand Counselling will give you a clear understanding of the main counselling theories and help you develop vital counselling skills. It will introduce 9332,Encore Effect
- Unmerited Favour
- Ways to Disappear
- What's being widely regarded as "one of the most life changing books ever written" may be the simplest approach to achieving everything you've ever wanted, and fa18110,Love,Toni Morrison"
- What's the number one item on every company's agenda? Profitable Growth. Every Business Is a Growth Business is your on9558,SLEEP NO MORE"
- When it's not attached to your head, your very own hair takes on a disconcerting quality. Suddenly, it is strange. And yet hair finds its wa19221,Borderlines,Michela Wrong"
- Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?
- WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
- Winston Churchill
- Wish you kn18195,Boom!,Mark Haddon"
- Worl8125,Freedom Next Time"
- World Affairs
- Yom Kippur War, The
- Young Adult
Filter by price
Students of Public International Law require access to an overwhelming variety of materials which are not always easy to obtain. Cases and Materials on International Law draws together in one volume an exhaustive selection of cases, materials and background information on the subject, which is supplemented by authoritative commentary and expert analysis. Widely recognised as the leading text of its kind, the eighth edition of Cases and Materials on International Law incorporates all major developments in the subject, including: International Court of Justice judgments on the jurisdictional immunity of states (Germany v Italy) and on the obligation to prosecute or extradite in cases of torture (Belgium v Senegal), as well as the Court’s advisory opinion on the legality of the declaration of independence in respect of Kosovo New judgments of the International Court of Justice and the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea on maritime disputes The International Law Commission’s Guide to Practice on Reservations to Treaties The use of force in Crimea, Libya and Cote D’Ivoire Developments in the UN human rights system Author:Professor David Harris , Professor Sandesh Sivakumaran ISBN:9780414033030
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841–1935) is generally considered one of the two greatest justices of the United States Supreme Court, Chief Justice John Marshall being the other. In more than 2000 opinions, he delineated an impressive legal philosophy that profoundly influenced American jurisprudence, particularly in the area of civil liberties and judicial restraint. At the same time, his abilities as a prose stylist earned him a position among the literary elite. In The Common Law, derived from a series of lectures Author: Oliver Wendell Holmes ISBN:9780486267463
The best legal guide to wills and estates—with more than 80,000 copies sold—now updated to cover the current asset protection options and estate laws Whether grappling with modest or extensive assets, The Complete Book of Wills, Estates, and Trusts has long been the indispensable guide for protecting an estate for loved ones. In this completely revised third edition, updated to cover the latest changes in estate law, attorney Alexander A. Bove, Jr., clearly explains • how to use a will to avoid probate and legal complications • how trusts work and how to use trusts to save taxes • how to contest a will and how to avoid a contest • how to settle an estate or make a claim against one • how to establish a durable power of attorney • how to protect assets from creditors In his straightforward and humorous style, Bove shares easy-to-understand legal definitions, savvy advice on taxes, and pragmatic and simple sample forms, all illustrated with entertaining examples and actual cases. The Complete Book of Wills, Estates, and Trusts is the best guide available for defending your financial legacy Author: Alexander A. Bove ISBN:9780805078886
Fifty years on from its original publication, HLA Hart’s The Concept of Law is widely recognized as the most important work of legal philosophy published in the twentieth century. It is a classic book in the field of legal scholarship and remains the starting point for most students coming to the subject for the first time. Known as Hart’s most famous work, The Concept of Law emerged from a set of lectures that Hart began to deliver in 1952 in which he developed a sophisticated view of legal positivism. Hart revolutionized the methods of jurisprudence and the philosophy of law in the English-speaking world by bringing the tools of analytic, and especially linguistic, philosophy to bear on the central problems of legal theory. In this third edition, Leslie Green provides a new introduction that sets the book in the context of subsequent developments in social and political philosophy, clarifying misunderstandings of Hart’s project and highlighting central tensions and problems in the work. The Concept of Law remains a must-read for anyone interested in the great thinkers of the 20th century. Author: H.L.A Hart ISBN:9780199644704
The Conflict of Laws is now a well-established textbook on this complicated and fast moving area of law. The text explains the fundamental principles of the subject but also allows the reader to stand back from the rules dealing with specific topics and to consider some issues which concern the working of the conflict of laws as a whole, in particular, the theoretical basis and methodology, thus, making it an ideal textbook for students on both academic and professional courses. Author: David McLean, Veronica Ruiz Abou-Nigm ISBN:9780414038165
Since America’s founding, the U.S. Supreme Court had issued a vast number of decisions on a staggeringly wide variety of subjects. And hundreds of judges have occupied the bench. Yet as Cass R. Sunstein, the eminent legal scholar and bestselling co-author of Nudge, points out, almost every one of the Justices fits into a very small number of types regardless of ideology: the hero, the soldier, the minimalist, and the mute. Heroes are willing to invoke the Constitution to invalidate state laws, federal legislation, and prior Court decisions. They loudly embrace first principles and are prone to flair, employing dramatic language to fundamentally reshape the law. Soldiers, on the other hand, are skeptical of judicial power, and typically defer to decisions made by the political branches. Minimalists favor small steps and only incremental change. They worry that bold reversals of long-established traditions may be counterproductive, producing a backlash that only leads to another reversal. Mutes would rather say nothing at all about the big constitutional issues, and instead tend to decide cases on narrow grounds or keep controversial cases out of the Court altogether by denying standing. As Sunstein shows, many of the most important constitutional debates are in fact contests between the four Personae. Whether the issue involves slavery, gender equality, same-sex marriage, executive power, surveillance, or freedom of speech, debates have turned on choices made among the four Personae?choices that derive as much from psychology as constitutional theory. Sunstein himself defends a form of minimalism, arguing that it is the best approach in a self-governing society of free people. More broadly, he casts a genuinely novel light on longstanding disputes over the proper way to interpret the constitution, demonstrating that behind virtually every decision and beneath all of the abstract theory lurk the four Personae. By emphasizing the centrality of character types, Sunstein forces us to rethink everything we know about how the Supreme Court works. Author: Cass R Susstein ISBN:9780190222673
Significantly streamlined and updated, the second edition of Andrews’ Contract Law now provides a clear and succinct examination of all of the topics in the contract law curriculum. Chapters direct students to the most important decisions in case law and employ a two-level structure to integrate short judicial excerpts into detailed discussion and analysis. Exploration of the law’s ‘loose ends’ strengthens students’ ability to effectively analyse case law, and new end-of-chapter questions, which focus on both core aspects of the law and interesting legal loopholes, assist students in preparing for exams. Students are guided through chapter material by concise chapter overviews and a two-colour text design that highlights important chapter elements. Suggestions for further reading and a rich bibliography, which point readers to important pieces of contemporary literature and provide a springboard for deeper investigation of particular topics, lend further support for student learning. Author: Neil Andrews ISBN:9781107660649
The Fundamentals series introduces students to the principles of the law by way of clear text combined with visual aids, tools and diagrams to enable an easy understanding of the subject without sacrificing the detail that is required for proper comprehension. Each title assumes no level of prior knowledge, allowing the book to be used for those new to the subject and for distance learning. Contract Law – The Fundamentals presents a clear and detailed explanation of the area, with features that aid comprehension and understanding, providing an excellent grounding in the subject and a solid basis for the study of law. Author:Ryan Murray ISBN:9780414060746
As an Assistant United States Attorney, John Kroger pursued high-profile cases against mafia killers, drug kingpins, and Enron executives. In Convictions, Kroger reveals how to flip a perp, how to conduct a cross, how to work an informant, how to placate a hostile judge. Starting from his time as a green recruit and ending at the peak of his career, he steers us through the complexities and ethical dilemmas in the life of a prosecutor, where the battle in the courtroom is only the culmination of long and intricate investigative work. Author:John Kroger ISBN:9780374531775
Murder, extermination, enslavement, ethnic cleansing, rape, and torture: when carried out in a widespread or systematic way, these constitute ‘crimes against humanity’. And the international community still has a long way to go to eradicate them. In examples ranging from the genocide in Darfur and Rwanda, to the sex trade of Eastern Europe, to the use of torture on detainees, Jones recounts touching real-life stories from victims and survivors of crimes against humanity worldwide. This guide outlines the history and current extent of key crimes against humanity, investigates the current stumbling blocks which prevent full compliance with international law, and highlights many of the success stories. Adam Jones is Associate Professor at the University of British Columbia, Canada. He is executive director of Gendercide Watch and is Head of ‘Genocide’ the lead international journal on the subject. Author: Adam Jones ISBN:9781851686018
Davies on Contract is the ideal introduction to the principles of contract law. The work breaks the subject down into component parts, providing a concise and straightforward explanation of each key area. Each chapter opens with a mini-contents list and a brief statement of the chapter s purpose to aid usability of the work. Covering the latest legislative and case law developments, the tenth edition of Davies on Contract continues to be an up to date and accessible accompaniment to the study of contract law. Author: Robert Upex, Geoffrey Bennett ISBN:9781847034472
Discrimination Law: Theory and Context provides a comprehensive and in-depth account of contemporary discrimination law in England and Wales, providing a critical overview of the subject along with analysis of the law. The work utilises the popular text and materials approach to bring together a stimulating collection of statutes, cases, extracts from academic books and articles, policy papers and government publications. The work addresses the subject from a human rights and EU law perspective, providing analysis of the way in which EU and domestic discrimination law has been influenced by constitutional and human rights standards. The work includes international material, as well as comparisons with other jurisdictions such as the US, Canada, South Africa and Australia. Discrimination Law: Theory and Context provides detailed discussion of recent key case law and legislative developments in disability and age discrimination including the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006 and contains all other relevant legislation such as the Civil Partnership Act 2004. In addition, the work analyses the Discrimination Law Review 2007 which offers recommendations about future law reform. Author: Nicholas Bamforth ISBN: 9780421554405
In his major work, acclaimed historian and judicial authority Melvin Urofsky examines the great dissents throughout the Court’s long history. Constitutional dialogue is one of the ways in which we as a people reinvent and reinvigorate our democratic society. The Supreme Court has interpreted the meaning of the Constitution, acknowledged that the Court’s majority opinions have not always been right, and initiated a critical discourse about what a particular decision should mean and fashioning subsequent decisions–largely through the power of dissent. Urofsky shows how the practice grew slowly but steadily, beginning with the infamous & now overturned case of Dred Scott v. Sanford (1857) during which Chief Justice Roger Taney’s opinion upheld slaver and ending with the present age of incivility, in which reasoned dialogue seems less and less possible. Dissent on the court and off, Urofsky argues in this major work, has been a crucial ingredient in keeping the Constitution alive and must continue to be so. Author: Melvin Urofsky ISBN:9780307741325
Judges and legal scholars talk past one another, if they have any conversation at all. Academics couch their criticisms of judicial decisions in theoretical terms, which leads many judges–at the risk of intellectual stagnation–to dismiss most academic discourse as opaque and divorced from reality. In Divergent Paths, Richard Posner turns his attention to this widening gap within the legal profession, reflecting on its causes and consequences and asking what can be done to close or at least narrow it. The shortcomings of academic legal analysis are real, but they cannot disguise the fact that the modern judiciary has several serious deficiencies that academic research and teaching could help to solve or alleviate. In U.S. federal courts, which is the focus of Posner’s analysis of the judicial path, judges confront ever more difficult cases, many involving complex and arcane scientific and technological distinctions, yet continue to be wedded to legal traditions sometimes centuries old. Posner asks how legal education can be made less theory-driven and more compatible with the present and future demands of judging and lawyering. Law schools, he points out, have great potential to promote much-needed improvements in the judiciary, but doing so will require significant changes in curriculum, hiring policy, and methods of educating future judges. If law schools start to focus more on practical problems facing the American legal system rather than on debating its theoretical failures, the gulf separating the academy and the judiciary will narrow. Author: Richard Posner ISBN:9780674286030
Researching and tracing information is an essential skill that students need to master if they want to succeed both in their legal studies and in their future careers. A practical guide to effective legal research, this new edition presents the information on a step-by-step format leading students through the world of legal research both in a law library and researching online. FEATURES AND BENEFITS A practical guide to researching, tracing and understanding legal information, including UK, EU and ECHR materials Helps users find the material they need with the minimum of effort, and to use it with confidence – essential skills for every law student Presents the information in a step-by-step format, leading the reader through the world of legal research from using a law library to searching online Includes coverage of current awareness websites and legal blogs, including Westlaw UK, Lexis Nexis Professional, BAILII, Europa and TSO Uses examples from Law Reports, Acts, Halsbury’s, Current Law, Hansard and European materials from the Official Journal, Eur-Lex and the European Court of Justice Contains Tip Boxes highlighting important points to remember Appendices include Abbreviations list of Reports, Series and Journals, Summary of Sources for English Law, Online Sources of Scots, Northern Ireland and International Law. Author: John Knowles ISBN:9780414051911
Presents a clear and detailed explanation of the English Legal System, with special features to aid students’ comprehension and understanding, providing an excellent grounding in the subject and solid basis for the onward study of law. Author:Jo Boylan- Kemp ISBN:9780414033146
Evidence is information which is used to inform a judgement. Each of us uses it everyday in making decisions from the trivial to the pivotal. In its legal context, evidence is a complex area of study. This book examines this topic. Author: Phil Huxley ISBN:9780414044593
A lucid, lively, and definitive one-volume history of the USA’s highest court. Schwartz ranges from the earliest history of court dress to history’s most important cases in this illuminating examination. Author:Bernard Schwartz ISBN:9780195093872
How to Study Law equips new law students with the vital foundation skills for the successful study of law. It introduces students to the system and sources of English law, and goes on to demonstrate how to find, read and analyse a variety of legal materials – cases, statutes, articles and research reports – in print and online, using original sources. Diagrams, worked examples and practical exercises allow students to practice and test their new skills. Author:Professor A. Bradney, Professor F. Cownie, Professor J. Masson, Professor J. Masson ISBN:9780414061538
Business law covers a broad spectrum of topics, all of which may not be essential to the diverse range of legal practitioners, business management and law students. This textbook is designed to equip students of law and other professional pursuits with easily accessible, comprehensive legal text and introductory materials in the law of contract generally, and in the various topical elements of special contracts commonly styled as commercial law. The book is tailored to cover the various syllabi and meet the needs of university and tertiary college students of all disciplines in which the law of contract and the selected topics in commercial law form part of their curricula…. Author: K.I Laibuta ISBN:9789966109200
Over the last twenty-five years, there has been a spirited debate in the courts, Congress, and in the academy about how to interpret federal statutes, the laws of Congress. Federal judges spend a considerable amount of time trying to understand Congress’s meaning. Just as Congress produces laws, so courts are called on to interpret them. When the language of the statute is unambiguous, then, the job of the judge is generally straightforward. But when-as often happens-the statute is ambiguous, the interpretative task is not obvious. How a judge interprets statutes – sticking only to the text when the language is ambiguous, or going beyond the text to legislative materials – is of fundamental importance. For the methodology of interpretation can affect the outcome and thus whether the law has been construed consistently with Congress’s meaning. Justice Scalia has fueled the debate, arguing that courts should look to the text of the statute and to virtually nothing else. In Judging Statutes, Chief Judge Robert A. Katzmann of the U.S Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, respectfully disagrees. Drawing upon his interdisciplinary background in law and political science, he argues that our constitutional system charges Congress with enacting laws; so, how Congress makes its purposes known, through text and reliable accompanying materials should be respected. Judge Katzmann contends that there has been scant consideration given to what is critical as courts interpret statutes – an appreciation of how Congress actually functions and signals its meaning, and what Congress expects of those interpreting its laws. Judging Statutes explores how Congress works; how agencies construe legislation; and examines two interpretative approaches, purposivsm and textualism. The author discusses cases in which he was the writing judge and which the Supreme Court reviewed, and concludes with some suggestions to promote understanding between courts and Congress. Author: Roberts A Katzmann ISBN:9780199362134
What is justice? How is it enforced? Does it mean everyone should be treated the same, even when it comes to things like taxes or access to welfare? These sorts of questions have exercised the minds of thinkers since Plato and Aristotle. In this engaging and highly topical introduction, Professor Raymond Wacks breaks down the leading theories of justice and illustrates how present-day challenges, like terrorism and migration, affect our fundamental notions of fairness and democratic freedoms. Author: Raymond Wacks ISBN:9781786070456
Land Law provides the reader with a clear and concise explanation of the vast range of topics covered in the majority of land law courses. As part of the Textbook Series, the work sets out a clear framework and seeks to explain the intricacies of the law as clearly as possible, without sacrificing the detail that is required for a proper understanding of the subject. Author: Nicola Jackson, John Stevens ISBN:9780414023246
All journalists, whether practising or in training must be aware of the legal environment in which they operate. This book addresses all the areas of media law, which affect practising journalists on a daily basis. Using examples from real reporting situations it helps the reader not only to understand and recognise the implications of media law on print and broadcast journalism, but also offers practical guidance on how a journalist can work without legal contravention. Author: Duncan Bloy, Sara Hadwin ISBN:9780414046108
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by a sea of revision, let OUP’s Questions and Answers series keep you afloat! Written by experienced examiners, the Q&As offer expert advice on what to expect from your exam, how best to prepare, and guidance on what examiners are really looking for. Revision isn’t always plain sailing, but the Q&As will allow you to approach your exams with confidence. Q&As will help you succeed by: – identifying typical law exam questions – giving you model answers for up to 50 essay and problem-based questions – demonstrating how to structure a good answer – helping you to avoid common mistakes – advising you on how to make your answer stand out from the crowd – teaching you how to use your existing knowledge to convey exactly what the examiner is looking for – directing you to related further reading Author: Adrian Chandler ISBN:9780198715788
Dennis the Law of Evidence provides thorough analysis of the law of evidence, while placing the subject within its theoretical context. The work goes beyond other textbooks to explain the intricacies of the law of evidence while still remaining easy to understand. The information is presented in a logical structure following on from the introduction of the basic concepts through to the exclusionary rules of the law of evidence. Dennis offers an integrated approach to evidence which includes essential doctrinal analysis. It takes account of evidence theory, psychological research on information processing and retrieval, socio-legal work on police investigations, and jury research projects. Author: Ian Dennis ISBN:9780414056138
Law of International Trade is now a well-established textbook on this complicated and fast moving area of law. This book offers the reader a comprehensive and solid explanation of law and practice with an analysis of the theoretical and doctrinal issues, thus, making it an ideal textbook for students on both academic and professional courses. It is also an invaluable resource for practitioners and those engaged in international commercial operations, such as shipping, trade finance, cargo insurance, cross border litigation, international sales, etc. Author: Jason Chua ISBN:9780414023253
The most famous lawyer in America talks about the law, his life, and how he has won. Johnnie Cochran has been a lawyer for almost forty years. In that time, he has taken on dozens of groundbreaking cases and emerged as a pivotal figure in race relations in America. Cochran gained international recognition as one of America’s best – and most controversial lawyers – for leading ‘the Dream Team’ defense of accused killer O.J. Simpson in the Trial of the Century. Many people formed their perception of Cochran based on his work in that trial. But long before the Simpson trial and since then Johnnie Cochran has been a leader in the fight for justice for all Americans. This is his story. Cochran emerged from the trial as one of the nation’s leading African-American spokespersons – and he has done most of his talking through the courtroom. Abner Louima. Amadou Diallo. The racially-profiled New Jersey Turnpike Four. Sean “P. Diddy” Combs. Patrick Dorismond. Cynthia Wiggins. These are the names that have dominated legal headlines – and Cochran was involved with each of them. No one who first encountered him during the Simpson trial can appreciate his impact on our world until they’ve read his whole story. Drawing on Cochran’s most intriguing and difficult cases, A Lawyer’s Life shows how he’s fought his critics, won for his clients, and affected real change within the system. This is an intimate and compelling memoir of one lawyer’s attempt to make us all truly equal in the eyes of the law. Author: Johnnie Cochran ISBN:9780312319670
Legal Methods and Systems: Text and Materials uses a text and materials format to provide a mini library and integrated teaching tool for Legal Method, English Legal System and Introduction to Law courses. Author:Professor Carl F Stychin ISBN:9780414041837
The best-selling legal skills textbook in the market, Legal Skills is the essential guide for law students, encompassing all the academic and practical skills in one manageable volume. It is an ideal text for students new to law, helping them make the transition from secondary education and giving them the skills they need to succeed from the beginning of their degree, through exams and assessments and into their future career. The first part covers ‘Sources of Law’ and includes information on finding and using legislation, ensuring an understanding of where the law comes from and how to use it. The second part covers ‘Academic Legal Skills’ and provides advice on general study and writing skills. This part also includes a section on referencing and avoiding plagiarism amongst a number of other chapters designed to help students through the different stages of the law degree. The third and final part is dedicated to ‘Practical Legal Skills’; a section designed to help develop transferable skills in areas such as presentations and negotiations that will be highly valued by future employers. The text contains many useful features designed to support a truly practical and self-reflective approach to legal skills including self-test questions, diagrams and practical activities. Students are given the opportunity to take a ‘hands on’ approach to tackling a variety of legal skills from using cases to negotiation. Each skill is firmly set in its wider academic and professional context to encourage an integrated approach to the learning of legal skills. Author:Emily Finch, Stefan Fafinski ISBN:9780198784715
Lloyd’s Introduction to Jurisprudence is the leading textbook on jurisprudence in the English-speaking world, covering the whole field of jurisprudence. Combines an authoritative text with extracts from a huge variety of authors, extracting the works of more than a hundred jurists Gives critical insight into the texts with detailed and well-documented introductory sections Examines the contributions made to legal theory by leading jurists from the Ancient Greeks to the postmodernists Covers Aristotle, Raz, Habermas, Unger, Coleman, Perry, Kramer, Nelken and Iris Marion Young Contains a new chapter on Ronald Dworkin, analysing his work Places emphasis on Hart, particularly the “Postscript” and the commentary this has provoked Provides more references to contemporary debates e.g. positivism v natural law Offers a fuller discussion of justice, including global justice Author: Michael Freeman ISBN:9780414026728
In their professional lives, courtroom lawyers must do these two things: speak persuasively and write persuasively. In this noteworthy book, two of the most noted legal writers of our day – Justice Antonin Scalia and Bryan A. Garner – systematically present every important idea about judicial persuasion in a fresh, entertaining way. Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges is a guide for novice and experienced litigators alike. It covers the essentials of sound legal reasoning, including how to develop the syllogism that underlies any argument. From there the authors explain the art of brief writing, expecially what to include and what to omit, so that you cn induce the judge to focus closely on your arguments. Finally they show what it takes to succeed in oral argument. The opinions of Justice Scalia are legendary for their sharp insights, biting wit, and memorable phrasing. Author: Antonin Scalia, Bryan A Garner ISBN:9780314184719
Medical Law and Ethics provides coverage of the major topics of medical law and ethics, combining detailed legal exposition and analysis with moral theory and philosophy. This book considers the wider contextual pressures facing the law such as the impact of market forces and patient consumerism, political interests, medical and professional interests, changing perceptions of medicine, developing technologies, and limited resources. Author: Shaun D Pattinson ISBN:9780414031708
This edition provides a clear and comprehensive account of the English legal system, covering the institutions, personnel and procedures, and the handling of case law and statutes. Author:S. H. Bailey, N. W. Taylor, J. P. L. Ching ISBN:9780421909106
Showing 1–36 of 60 results